Desert Colors

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
400-rocks-desert.jpg

Lovely colours, and definitely different from the colours I get to see in the (abundance of) nature that surrounds ME here. While there are a good many yellow out and about here right now, there certainly is not this amount of reds.

Just before and just after sunrise the desert does this weird thing- I love every minute of it. I'm like this no matter where I've lived though. Every place has its moments.

400-tower-rc-e.jpg

well it must be good if LaFoto says lovely colours and there is no green

It's different for sure. The coolest thing about this trip was I applied some of the archaeology junk I learned and while wandering around and found a cave with this on the ceiling;

400-00807.jpg

No big deal, the native Americans that made it weren't hot on art by our standards, but pictographs (paintings) are a bit harder to find than petroglyphs (pecked). Definiately not the normal tourist destination.

abraxas said:
[...] I applied some of the archaeology junk I learned and while wandering around and found a cave with this on the ceiling; [...]
So? The suspense is killing me! Apply that "archaeology junk" you learned! What are these? Where are they? What do they mean? Who made them? When were they made? Why were they made?

W.Smith said:
So? The suspense is killing me! Apply that "archaeology junk" you learned! What are these? Where are they? What do they mean? Who made them? When were they made? Why were they made?

Basically, they are pictographs, painted by prehistoric man. No one knows who made them or why, as they pre-date Native Americans of historic times in most situations. In cases where they may have been made within the last 100-200 years, the associated cultures have been decimated/wiped out. Some petroglyphs (pecked into rock, rather than painted on), have been estimated to be up to 8,000 years old.

Thanks Mohain.

LostProphet, it's all subjective since it's such an alien environment. Hope you liked it. I do understand some folks just don't care for the desert as a subject. Me though, I can't get enough.

Great photos, beautiful light in the first one, the rocks in the second seem to be glowing and interesting pictographs.

abraxas said:
Thanks Mohain.

LostProphet, it's all subjective since it's such an alien environment. Hope you liked it. I do understand some folks just don't care for the desert as a subject. Me though, I can't get enough.

i love the desert. being surrounded by it constantly makes it hard for me to get inspiration sometimes, that's why i love seeing your take on the subject. really enjoyed these shots. :thumbup:

Thanks JTHphoto! When I get stiff on shots I like to look to you and Woodsac for views from the otherends. Glad I ran into the forum.

I've loved deserts on the few occassions I have had to experience them. It helps when you live there, but you sure know how to capture the nicest moments.

Beautiful shots.

I love living in the Mojave Desert. You have to strive to see the beauty, but it's so rewarding to share it with others. Were the petro pics from a tour at China Lake, prolly via Maturango Museum?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back