Design a backpack?

midget patrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Where would one go to design a backpack? Not to put your logo or name on it, but to actually give the arrangement of the fabric/straps/etc? I've got an idea for a photography backpack that I want to work with, but don't know where to start...

maybe approach the brands that actually make the backpacks, like lowpro etc. shoot them an email and ask them

there are ALOT of different backpacks out there...there may be something similar to what you're thinking of. is your idea reaaally unique or different? if not, then try searching some more and see what you find. I've never heard of companies making custom bags, but you never know.

do you actually want this bag made personally for you, or do you want to sell an idea/design for a type of bag to a company?

JohnMF, I'll try emailing the companies. Thanks.

thebeginning, it is unique, I believe. I've looked at tamrac, lowepro, etc.

Here's the idea, maybe somebody knows of a product like this already:

This is the basic idea in the largest capacity. It could be re-arranged and the numbers reduced to get smaller backpacks. The target is a nature/wildlife/sports photographer that needs to walk or hike but won't always have a lot of time to take off a backpack and root through it.

The backpack has a box made of padded material closest to the body. This box has 'slots' in it that run across the persons back. Each slot has a covering--probably a padded cover with a clip and a zipper--that hinges either upwards or backwards (not sure yet) to allow access to that slot. These slots are designed to hold lenses.

There is another slot behind each shoulder, except these (along with one positioned on the spine) run vertically on the side of the backpack farthest from the body. All three use closures similar to the set of lens holders; clips and zippers (clips for quick acces, clip plus zipper for security). The one behind the right shoulder is designed to hold a camera plus lens such that with one motion, the photographer can unclip the flap and pull the camera forwards to take a shot. The other two vertical slots can be used for more camera bodies, extra-long telephoto lenses, or a tripod/monopod.

Between these two sets of slots could be a standard backpack which would allow the photographer to carry clothing, raingear, food, etc.

And of course, the usual waist and chest straps with an appropriately large number of pockets.

What do you think?

im finding it hard to visualise myself (but then again it is 5.00am here and im tired).

If you decide to seriously have a go at something like this, you may need to check things like patents, and also look into possibly patenting some parts of your own design.

You would also need a prototype too i think, to show to potential buyers (companies).

Another option would be to have the bags made (in somewhere like china) and then sell them yourself. But you would have to have a lot of faith in your product becasue it would take a reasonably large financial investment.

there's some ideas for you to consider anyways

i think that's a freaking suitcase! seriously, all that PLUS room for a laptop and normal backpack space, that's crazy. I'm not sure if it would be possible to make a backpack with that many layers that could hold both a 'super long' telephoto (i'm guessing something larger like a 400mm 2.8 or 600mm f4) and a camera+lens with easy access.

There are three things that are important in camera bags: Security (padding and such, zipper placement, etc.), convenience (again zipper placement, size, ease of holding, etc.), and size (to hold alot of camera gear). Unfortunately convenience and size rarely go together. you're pretty much forced to take off the backpack, open it up, get the camera out, and zip it back up. even if one were made that had an 'easy reach' for the body, the clip/zipper mechanism would be too complicated and considering the size of the backpack it would be hard to reach. It might be possible, but not at that size. One of the largest camera bags just came out at photokina: the thinktank airport security bags. Check out this baby:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_ArprtScrty_Configs.php

honestly, sports and nature photographers don't do much lens switching and stuff from their bags...they focus more on size and security.

I like the idea myself, and i have to agree with JohnMF in the way of prototype. I think you should try and make one yourself. I did. I just foudn the right size of hiking backpack and converted it into a camera backback using high tention velcro, high density foam, fabric, and some other small doo-dads that i can't remember right now.

bantor said:
I like the idea myself, and i have to agree with JohnMF in the way of prototype. I think you should try and make one yourself. I did. I just foudn the right size of hiking backpack and converted it into a camera backback using high tention velcro, high density foam, fabric, and some other small doo-dads that i can't remember right now.

that's definitely a possibility. couldnt hurt to try it :)

That's a really big bag...

It wouldn't be that huge, really. I guess maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could have.

Maybe i will try to make one myself... that's an idea.

And, I find when hiking and shooting that I like to be able to switch from a telephoto to a wide angle quickly, especially if I'm shooting a landscape and "oh wow, there's an eagle." Plus it'll give you easy access to a tripod. Well, i'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I like the idea of making everything more accessible...but I that makes me thing of other ways to do it...besides a backpack. Lowepro has a belt system, combine that with a photo vest and or a sling bag and you would be set up. It's not a all-in-one solution but it's versatile.

Agree with Mike Individual gear bags have been around for sometime

Think Tank is one company I know that use is approach (gives you the option). Think they are fairly new. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

i have this one very nice http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtScrty.php
ArprtScrtyPre2d.jpg

Most reactions

Back