Determining color temperature from Preset White Balance.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there any way to determine the actual color temperature of a Preset white balance? Exif data merely reads "White Balance: Preset3". I'm interested in knowing the °K.

I've not found a way so if you do I'd love to know what it is. Even Capture NX2 just shows "As Shot" but doesn't give the actual temperature.

Does the manual say the color temperature of the presets?

Does the manual say the color temperature of the presets?

They are not presets from the factory... they're presets you set/take manually in the camera.

Ah - I was thinking of the 'cloudy', 'daylight', etc presets. I see what you mean now.

That's an interesting question. Out of curiosity I tried using preset white balance with my D3. In Lightroom and ACR the 'As Shot' value with the Raw file was always 5000 K (the symbol for kelvin is simply K, by the way, no degree) and it usually looked wrong. The accompanying JPEG looked OK, however. I could use the white balance tool on the Raw file to find the correct white balance (temperature and tint) for the target. Would that work for you?

Best,
Helen

Are you taking about the K preset in your camera? isn't that adjustable in your camera menu? I know you shoot Nikon, but in my Canon, I can set the WB To K preset and then the next item down in the menu allows me to choose what that Value is. It is set from the factory at 5,000K but is adjustable for whatever I want.

If you are instead wanting to know what the camera assigns thw WB tempture to in Auto WB, That info does show up in Lightroom with the tempture/ tint used

Are you taking about the K preset in your camera? isn't that adjustable in your camera menu? I know you shoot Nikon, but in my Canon, I can set the WB To K preset and then the next item down in the menu allows me to choose what that Value is. It is set from the factory at 5,000K but is adjustable for whatever I want.

If you are instead wanting to know what the camera assigns thw WB tempture to in Auto WB, That info does show up in Lightroom with the tempture/ tint used

I'm speaking of the custom presets. I can always dial in a K number..... 3200, 4510, 5870, 7410, etc. This is for when I use one of the 5 customizable presets in my D7000. I tell the camera to measure the temp of the light source, and it saves it under d0. I can move it to 4 locations (d1-d4) for future reference, even putting a comment for each location. But I can't find out what the color temperature the camera is set at.

That's an interesting question. Out of curiosity I tried using preset white balance with my D3. In Lightroom and ACR the 'As Shot' value with the Raw file was always 5000 K (the symbol for kelvin is simply K, by the way, no degree) and it usually looked wrong. The accompanying JPEG looked OK, however. I could use the white balance tool on the Raw file to find the correct white balance (temperature and tint) for the target. Would that work for you?

Best,
Helen

I dunno. I don't have Lightroom.

Lightroom, Will show what was used for a custom white balance

(sorry for the misunderstanding Canon uses different terminology...well actully I can't store more than one Cust. WB)

Problem solved: Raw Therapee displays it under the Color tab.

Most reactions

Back