Did you edit?!

_t_is_me_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am I the only one who is curious what kind of edits (if any) are done on photos? People always post what shutter speed and aperture, which ISO, flash or no flash, etc etc, but never if there was editing done or what kind. This is something I want to know! Maybe it doesn't matter, and I'm weird; Regardless, I'd still like to know!

I always tweak exposure and white balance. I will also straighten, crop, remove dust spots and distracting elements, adjust colors (saturation, tint, etc) and fix distortions if I think they are needed. If you shoot only jpegs, the camera is making some of those adjustments for you.

I'm just always curious if the image I'm seeing is "original" or has a few tweaks to pretty it up. As a new photographer, I find myself comparing my photos to other images that I see, but I don't know if it's even a fair comparison to begin with, because I don't yet edit my photos.

I'm just always curious if the image I'm seeing is "original" or has a few tweaks to pretty it up. As a new photographer, I find myself comparing my photos to other images that I see, but I don't know if it's even a fair comparison to begin with, because I don't yet edit my photos.

If you are new, concentrate on the basics: exposure, lighting, composition and perspective. The editing can come later.

This is an unedited straight out of the camera (SOOC) shot. The only processing was to scan it to JPEG. ;)

scan0001.jpg

Am I the only one who is curious what kind of edits (if any) are done on photos? People always post what shutter speed and aperture, which ISO, flash or no flash, etc etc, but never if there was editing done or what kind. This is something I want to know! Maybe it doesn't matter, and I'm weird; Regardless, I'd still like to know!
There have been threads on this topic. What constitutes "processing", or editing, etc.

Sometimes the poster tells us exactly what was done, and sometimes it is rather obvious. Personally, I would rather not show anyone a photograph for which I hadn't at least done the minimum; straighten, crop, adjust for WB and exposure.

Editing is fun and easy if you have a user-friendly software.

Snowbear and Elngerson are making a specific point that whether you shoot film, jpegs or raw, every image must be 'developed' in some way before you can see it. Embedded in what they say is the meaning that the endpoint of the 'development' or editing is the choice of someone - the lab, the shooter or the engineers who developed the camera - so believing that because you, personally, don't use software to change the development path, the picture remains unedited is first wrong and then naive.

Believing that not doing any editing oneself is somehow purer or better or more true to tradition is silly.

Everything is edited. I've seen plenty of people online who tout that all their photos are unedited and SOOC, and for the most part those photos don't look good at all. But there is a difference between processing your photos well and overdoing it, which can be easy to do

This is something I want to know!

I think most members who put up a photograph on this site will be happy to tell you how much editing they did. Just ask.

A possible exception could be if someone was experimenting with a certain editing routine and would be hesitant to blurt it out, something like giving away a secret family recipe.

Take for granted that every pic on this site (including film) has been edited in some way.

Some pics you will look at and do very little processing some others will be barley recognisable as a photograph after you processed it up the wazoo. Its up to you.

Editing Is one of my weak points. I edit and then look back a week later and wonder what the heck I was thinking and why didn't I fix that glaring issue. But every photo is edited, some more heavily than others.

I edit just as much as I need to get the image I want. I figure since Ansel Adams took that approach it's good enough for me.

I think it is time that you started processing your images. Presently, you're allowing the camera to 'develop' your images. You can dial how you desire the camera to edit with in-camera adjustments. And/or you can enhance the in-camera development by post processing in a photo manipulation app. Or you can remove the in-camera development completely by shooting RAW and shoulder all processing for the final image in your computer.

I process/edit, sometimes a lot. Not so much on my people work, but definitely a lot on my fine-art stuff and landscape stuff. I RARELY if ever post unedited SOOC shots. That's just foolish. Anyone can take a picture. I give you my gear and we set up in the same spot with the same settings, we'll get the same picture. But there's no way you'll edit the same why I do. And to me, that is a huge part of what sets photographers apart. Our editing and processing choices are what makes us unique.

Jake

Most reactions

Back