Difference between price on the same 85mm nikkor lens?????

ewick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anybody could tell me the difference between price in what seems to be the same lens. I looked up the NIKON AF NIKKOR 85MM 1:1.8D PRIME TELEPHOTO with a cost of 359.95 and then I saw what appears to be the same lens at a higher price. the second one was titled like this NIKON 85MM AF-S DIGITAL SLR NIKKOR TELEPHOTO priced at 599.99. and yet another one for 642.99 if anybody could shed some light on this for me I would be highly grateful.

the higher priced lens is the "G" lens, newer, faster, etc. The "D" lens is very reputable. "G" is improved.

Is the quality of photo better or what makes it "improved". I am looking to be a professional hobbyist so if there is not too much of a difference should I just go with the "d" model?

What the hell is a "professional hobbyist?" Sorry, but that makes absolutely more sense to me. You're going to be professionally pursuing taking photos for your own enjoyment?

I think you may be jumping the gun on the "pro" part of the hobbyist venture. If you truly want to be pro, better look at that f1.4 ;)

WHERE are these prices coming from??? THree days ago, I saw the brand new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G at walk-in retail for $499. The older 85mm f/1.8 AF-D model was $479. The $599 price quoted for the G-series 85mm lens is wayyyy too high. Way too high.

The new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G model is an exceptional performer in multiple metrics, but it does have a wee bit of CA. Still, it's proably the best 85mm f/1.8 lens from any manufacturer right now.

What the hell is a "professional hobbyist?" Sorry, but that makes absolutely more sense to me. You're going to be professionally pursuing taking photos for your own enjoyment?

Geez, where is the sense of humor. Yeah I aim to be a professional hobbyist. meaning I am going to produce professional quality work but mostly for my satisfaction. Maybe one day I might pursue a career in photography but the field is so competitive that you have to be above average to become successful.

WHERE are these prices coming from??? THree days ago, I saw the brand new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G at walk-in retail for $499. The older 85mm f/1.8 AF-D model was $479. The $599 price quoted for the G-series 85mm lens is wayyyy too high. Way too high.

The new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G model is an exceptional performer in multiple metrics, but it does have a wee bit of CA. Still, it's proably the best 85mm f/1.8 lens from any manufacturer right now.

I just happened to be on ebay and browsed the prices. So I guess I was just asking is there is a huge difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8.? so in the end I'm better off shelling out more money for the 1.4?

Geez, where is the sense of humor. Yeah I aim to be a professional hobbyist. meaning I am going to produce professional quality work but mostly for my satisfaction. Maybe one day I might pursue a career in photography but the field is so competitive that you have to be above average to become successful.

I perhaps was too harsh in my first post. But really, "professional hobbyist" contradicts itself.

Hobby: An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
Professional: A person engaged or qualified in a profession.

The quality of work that you produce will be directly dependent on your skill level, not the gear you purchase. Why not just consider yourself a hobbyist until you refine your skills? Claiming to be a "professional hobbyist" will just leave people scratching their heads IMHO.

The newer "G" mounts have the aperture ring removed, leaving aperture settings to the sub-command dials (thumb/finger wheels) on the body. I have the older "D" mount and don't feel I'm missing anything.

Both the f/1.4 "G" & "D" mounts are huge (physically) compared to the f/1.8 models. The price difference is indicative of a superior lens.

I perhaps was too harsh in my first post. But really, "professional hobbyist" contradicts itself.

Hobby: An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
Professional: A person engaged or qualified in a profession.

The quality of work that you produce will be directly dependent on your skill level, not the gear you purchase. Why not just consider yourself a hobbyist until you refine your skills? Claiming to be a "professional hobbyist" will just leave people scratching their heads IMHO.

Got it. Bottom line....I get where you are coming from. I know I still have a long way to go before I become a Pro but will definitely sticking to the hobbyist part but we are getting away from the question... do you have any input on the difference between lens and price?

... do you have any input on the difference between lens and price?
o hey tyler shoots Canon. Are you sure you want his opinion on a Nikon lens?

Yes! Of course he does! ;)

IMCO (in my Canon-er opinion), I'd get the f/1.8G. But either lens would suit you just fine, and you probably wouldn't notice any major differences unless you did some serious pixel peeping.

Of course, you could always get the f/1.4 model. Like Trever1t suggested. Now that I think about it, all my lenses are f/1.4. 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. :p

Most reactions

Back