No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
one has Macro and one does not...and they have different appearance as well

(i'm not really sure...lol :p)

but i guess maybe the more expensive one is the latest released version....sigma likes to do crazy thing like that....and the latest release usually are more expensive...just like the 18-50 f2.8 macro is priced at $629 CAD while the 18-50mm f2.8 is $499

Sigma has been updating many of their lenses. It seems that the newer versions have the same designation, except that many of them also have the 'macro' designation.

I would think that the newer versions are better lenses, with better coatings and special glass elements etc....but I don't know that for sure. For $75, it may be worth getting the cheaper/older one...but for less than $50, it might be better to just get the newer lens...but that's a personal choice.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

Also, the non macro is a DF lens, which is the sigma equivalent to pentaxs quick shift focus system, where turning the focusing ring disengages the auto focus of the lens.

I'd contact them and ask about the real differences, because according to their site, the macro lens doesnt focus any closer than the non macro lens, pretty much negating the point of spending the extra money.

Well one of these was for bid on ebay. Still not sure which one it is, but my guess is that its the first one. It's supposedly new in box and I got it for $275 so I figure either is worth that. All of the specs between the two are identical and the only visible difference is the grip on the lens. Pretty hard to find anything right now that will fit a pentax though so I guess it's a good deal.

Most reactions

Back