Difficulty with Forte Film?

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by JamesD, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Has anyone else had extreme difficulty getting Forte film onto a plastic reel? I just tried loading it, and it took a good half hour, a couple of kinks, and finally reeling from the spool end of the film. It kinked in a couple of places, but it's presently washing, so I haven't had a chance to check out how badly yet. It may also have been fogged--normally the extremely slight light leak around the door of my closet (err... darkroom) isn't bad enough to fog film as long as I get it before dawn, but this took a lot longer than I thought it would and the light leakage was quite pronounced.

If this stuff is normally this squirrelly, then I don't think I'm going to use it again. I'll stick with TMax and TriX. :banghead:

2. theinvisiblecity

theinvisiblecity TPF Noob!

I use Forte a great deal and have never had a problem......maybe it was just a fluke.......In fact I quite like Forte, and at less than half the price of Kodak products I shant be going back

3. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I have this problem too. It is a little thinner than Kodak and Ilford and really tempermental about half way in.

4. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Yeah, right about halfway, it decided to bind up in the reel and not go further. Winding from the spool end helped, but it still took a lot of coaxing. It almost seemed as though the reel was wet, but I know that it wasn't, because I took it straight out of the box where it'd been for weeks--months actually, since before I had my stuff shipped from AK. Perhaps I'll try another roll; if I get a repeat performance, I'll avoid it in the future.

5. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I just remembered. Something that helped was that I think a little residue was slowing things down. I ran the reels through my dish washing machine and the film seemed to go through a little easier.