Digital Back for Older Camera

rick54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings!
I've been away from photography for about 12 years at best guess. When I was shooting, I was using a Mamiya 645 and RZ with assorted lenses. Both of these cameras were of the 120 film back style. My question is, if I want to get back into photography, are digital backs available for my cameras, or do I have to start from scratch again with all new gear, including lenses?

If by chance, I can just get the digital backs, can you give me a ballpark figure as to the cost for a digital back for each of these cameras?

Thank you

You can get an early digital back for about 2-3K these days on e-bay. You can get a more modern digital back for about 6k+, and new backs start around 12k-15k, it's just a matter of getting them in the right mount.

I've used the "Phase One" back before on a Hassy H1 here at work ......very nice!

I know they can be used on a 1600f (circa 1952) and I know that they have been made in 645 and RB/RZ mount, so I don't see why this isn't possible. Expensive? Absolutely. Worth it? Absolutely.

Thank you all for the information. Minicoop, are you talking the "Phase One" back? Now my 645 and RZ being circa 1997-98 uses the Mamiya lenes of that period also. Is this a problem? Also, as you probably know these camera's are not auto anything that I remember. Thus my use of light meters to acquire the proper settings for speed and f-stop.

So the "Phase One" back, is this for the RZ or 645? Are there adapters required to mount the back to the camera, or software that has to be purchased and installed, memory cards? Anything special needed for my computer to down load pictures from the memory card?

This is a whole new learning curve for me, getting into the medium format digital arena. The closest I've come thus far is my little digital Cannon point and shoot. Its just that I have these cameras stored away not being used, and I thought I'd like to see what it'd take both equipment and money wise to resurrect them back into use, going from film to digital capture.

Again, many thanks for the quick lesson.

The 645s are one of the more common cameras to slap a back on, actually. The RZ is a bit less common, but they exist. If I were you, I'd invest in a back for the 645, as much as the RZ would be way more epic. A back for the 645 will run you far less.

Minicoop, I'm with you on the back for the 645. It was a cheaper set-up than the RZ was originally, so I'd think a back for the RZ would be pretty costly. I did visit the site Derrel suggested, and there were several Phase One backs to select from. Although of the backs they listed, nothing said that it applied to a Mamiya 645. There were some model numbers given, but I'll have to contact tech support to find out which back is a match for my 645.

As for my other questions on the lenses and manual operation etc, do you have any comments?

Again, thanks for the help

Minicoop, I'm with you on the back for the 645. It was a cheaper set-up than the RZ was originally, so I'd think a back for the RZ would be pretty costly. I did visit the site Derrel suggested, and there were several Phase One backs to select from. Although of the backs they listed, nothing said that it applied to a Mamiya 645. There were some model numbers given, but I'll have to contact tech support to find out which back is a match for my 645.

As for my other questions on the lenses and manual operation etc, do you have any comments?

Again, thanks for the help

Your lenses should be fine.

Have you thought about developing your own film and scanning? You can buy a nice scanner and a LOT of film for what you would plop down on a digi-back.

If you do go the digital route (it's appealing, but Mike_E has a point), don't overlook Leaf. They're owned by Mamiya now, too, if I remember correctly. The three companies I would trust (aka droooool over their products while simultaneously crying because I don't have them) are Phase One, Leaf, and Hasselblad/Imacon.

Most reactions

Back