Digital Camera for a Kid?

midlight21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a 3 year old little boy who apparently has developed a love of picture taking. I've already got him a cheap kiddie film camera however he found his older brother's Fuji S5000 and took to digital in a snap. I'd love to get him one of his own but a kiddie version of a digital camera isn't going to cut it for him. So, my question is....do any of you have young children that love taking pictures that you bought a digital camera for? If so...what did you buy? I'd rather pick up a used digital P&S for him. That way he can "take pictures with Mommy" and I might be able to avoid more tantrums over using his older brother's camera...

My daughter shoots with our old $100 olympus 2 megapixel I picked up at Costco. Might want to go used, ebay, perhaps?

Ive seen at toys r us they sell a kids camera that is digital but is claimed indistructable. It is bulky and big like moms is (I presume DSLR), and he cant break it if he does have a tantrum. Ill try to find a link but try to google or something. Ive also seen spiderman and other cartoon0ish character versions of the camera if hes interested in that. The internet is a wonderful place. Just a thought.

Mark.

One more thought, I would say dont go too hih-tech. After all, he is only three years old and will most likely get over this and throw the camera somewhere never to be seen again. One more thought to make this a three cents instead of a two cents :lol:

Mark

Yeah, I was trying to get away from the kiddie ones since he loves his brother's so much. I had an old Olympus that would have been perfect for him when I was younger. I'll definitely be trying Ebay. Just looking for manufacturers/models of good, easy to use ones for kids. He's learned proper camera holding and camera safety already. It would also be a lesson in "take care of your stuff" for him as I'd rather he break his own stuff and miss it when he realizes he doesn't get another one. So, good USED digital...

there's a tiny camera like an inch-diagonal in size, can take up to 200pics.
cost you 14bucks. it can also be a webcam :)

If you're willing to spend the cash, try finding one of the olympus SW series, new or used.

It'll take great photos, and handle any abuse the little guy can dish out.

I gave my oldest son my old Fuji, then when the little one became interested I had the oldest give the youngest the Fuji and I gave my oldest my not as old Sony. I just keep passing the old P&S's down the line.

I wouln't give a "real" camera to a 3 year old boy. I have a 3 year old daughter... she just really can't understand how fragile certain things can be, not to mention how heavy they are. Hell, I haven't quite been ready to give my 6 year old my D100 yet (though I intend to soon... maybe when she turns 7)

My kids both have those fisher price cameras, and they really are a GREAT way to start playing. I've literally seen my youngest drop hers down a flight of stairs. No problem. Lots of noise, though. :lol:

Imagine if that was the D100.

thump
thump
WHACK
CRASH
bang
thump
MROWR!! HISS!!!
CRASH
thud
tinkle tinkle

For a 3 year old, I would say to go for size.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old. The 4 year old has my old Fuji 2650 and the 7 yr old has her Aunt's old Nikon 880. They both take fantastic photos for being nearly 10 years old.

But with my 4 yr old, she can not hold the camera well with her tiny fingers (she is tiny where my 7 yr old is very tall). The Fuji 2650 was a thick P&S approximately the size of the larger P&S of today, but over an inch and a half thick. I can't tell if she just doesn't hold and lift the camera correctly or if it is just awkward for her to hold because of the size. I am thinking the latter because she seems to not be able to hold it with both hands and reach the shutter at the same time.

It's very interesting the pictures you get from a 4 year old.

We play scavenger hunt with the digital cameras. I make up a list of things, outside or inside the house, and send them on their way with the cameras. When they are all done, we check out the pictures.

We play scavenger hunt with the digital cameras. I make up a list of things, outside or inside the house, and send them on their way with the cameras. When they are all done, we check out the pictures.

Oh goooooood idea.

"Honey, this is a snipe hunt...now what you need to look for..." :lol:

j/k, actually I think it really is an awesome idea, but the bad bad father in me instantly saw the potential to keep the kids out of my hair for several hours. :)

She's a bit older than your 3 year old but my 5 year old cousin has my Canon G1 and she navigates it wonderfully. The fact that it shares batteries (and flash) with her father's DSLR is a big plus.

It seems to hold up just fine and since it isn't "too" small, she is less likely to misplace it.

Oh goooooood idea.

"Honey, this is a snipe hunt...now what you need to look for..." :lol:

j/k, actually I think it really is an awesome idea, but the bad bad father in me instantly saw the potential to keep the kids out of my hair for several hours. :)
I am busy tearing the siding off the house, tearing the sheathing off, adding insulation, adding new sheathing, wrapping with housewrap, stripping the paint off the cedar siding boards, reinstalling the siding, and staining the cedar. Why do you think I came up with the idea?

"Here kids, here's a list. Now put the list in your wagon, you don't want to hurt your back carrying it around...."

:D

Most reactions

Back