Digital Camera for a Kid?

I am busy tearing the siding off the house, tearing the sheathing off, adding insulation, adding new sheathing, wrapping with housewrap, stripping the paint off the cedar siding boards, reinstalling the siding, and staining the cedar. Why do you think I came up with the idea?

"Here kids, here's a list. Now put the list in your wagon, you don't want to hurt your back carrying it around...."

:D

hahah... ok, I feel less guilty now. :lol:

Just gonna chime in with this, even though I don't particularly like 'em..

Olympus makes several shock and waterproof models. They can stand the beatings we give 'em at the store (throwing them at the floor, jumping on them, etc) so they're pretty rugged. Some have moderate zoom, and most are pretty easy to use.

Yeah, I was trying to get away from the kiddie ones since he loves his brother's so much. I had an old Olympus that would have been perfect for him when I was younger. I'll definitely be trying Ebay. Just looking for manufacturers/models of good, easy to use ones for kids. He's learned proper camera holding and camera safety already. It would also be a lesson in "take care of your stuff" for him as I'd rather he break his own stuff and miss it when he realizes he doesn't get another one. So, good USED digital...

"Safety" lol. My second cousins were learning gun safety at around that age.

Anyway, I would check on ebay. You can get a cheap-o 2-3MP digicam for $20-50, depending on how hard you look. I doubt that your kid will keep the camera for very long.

EDIT: Let me also note that some of these are pretty durable. I had an old 2MP Kodak EasyShare and it took all the abuse I could throw at it. I pretty much took it everywhere, from hiking up mountains to disneyland.

Last edited:
i have a niece (8) and nephew (5) who always want to take pis with my D50.
and also with my older cams. (fuji a101, kodad dx6490)
There birthdays are coming up soon. and i was thinking maybe grab some older digicams off of ebay. some more simple point and shoots they can understand adn use. old 2 or 3 mp cams.
can be had for cheap on there.

Yay, another Egyptian god!

-------------

Last edited:
Yeah my boy had my dad's old Olympus D-510 but it wasn't quite sturdy enough plus it was a little too big he seems happy with the little $20 webcammy model though. (maybe I should have waited until he was three...)

Most reactions

Back