Digital Rebel Max Exposure time

cyphertext69

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am curious to know what the max exposure time is on the Digital Rebel. I consulted the manual but I am curious because being in the desert, you see a lot more stars than you would any where else. I am determined to get these stars. I was reading in eDigitalPhoto magazine that one guy had an exposure time of 10 minutes with a 10D. I am curious if this is possible with the Digital Rebel. Thanks

Ronnie

Theoretically, you can expose for as long as the batteries last. If you have the battery grip, that will be even longer, because you have 2 batteries.

That's all in theory. In practice, you'll get way too much noise. What most people do is take several shorter exposures and stack them in an image stacking program.

The longest exposure I tried with my rebel was somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. The noise wasn't too bad, but it was there. There were about 10 burnt pixels as well.

Thanks Matt, I recently bought a Digital Rebel and it hasn't come in yet. I am very new at photography but I have been spending a lot of time on here and reading magazines trying to re-learn what I learned in high school. I took a semester long photography class. We learned a lot of stuff, however, I have been out of high school for a while now.

I was reading in eDigitalPhoto, this one guy had an exposure time of 10 minutes! He was shooting stars and all that. Seeing that I am the night shift supervisor, I will have plenty of sunrises, stars, moon, and other night shots.

If you remember, I am the guy who is stationed in Iraq. I was going through some pictures that were taken with some P&S and while I am looking at them, I would love to post some on here so you guys get an idea of what it's like. Even still, I am not much on scrunty and since the cameras that are mostly used are P&S, noone here knows anything about Photoshop, including myself so with the wild shots that are taken, I don't think anyone would believe me that it was really how it looked. One picture for example was taken from the inside of a door looking outside to show the color inside of the door, however, the ouside was an orange color from all the dust that was stirred up. The dust wasn't very thick but I can see someone saying this was photoshoped. I will have to put the picture up so you can see what I am talking about. I will start a new thread for Iraq pics and post there whenever possible. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back