Dipping toe in medium format water...help.

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm seriously considering trying my hand at medium format photography. I've talk to a few friends who do it and they all recommend getting a Mamiya 645. Can some other medium format shooters chime in with some advice on what is a good beginner/under 500$ set up for someone new to the format.

I'm currently watching this one on ebay. Do you think it's a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-645-PRO-...oryZ3352QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard good things about Mamiya, but have never used one. My MF is a Bronica ETRS, which I like a lot. The reason I went with Bronica is that they seem even less expensive than the Mamiya.

I ended up paying about $125 for mine with speed grip, lens, prism finder, waist-level finder, and 120 back. Money well spent.

I am also a photographer who shoots with a Bronica. I got mine off of a wedding photographer who no longer shoots on film. There are plenty of great deals out there for someone like you who's interested in shooting MF. Check Ebay, B&H Photo Used Dept(they might be a little more expensive) or even photo stores. But do your homework and when you do decide to make a purchase you wont be disappointed. MF blows 35mm out of the water in terms of quality because of the image size. Thats what got me hooked about it.

That auction on Ebay does look like a good deal thou. For $300 thats a steal.

BUY IT. You'll need to buy a grip, though.

Max, you know as well as I that none of us on this forum really has a grip! :lol:

I have used the Pentax 645 for many years, and I still own and use one. The optics are great, and it shoots like a 35 mm, sort of. No inerchangeable backs, though. They are dirt cheap now.

I have used the Pentax 645 for many years, and I still own and use one. The optics are great, and it shoots like a 35 mm, sort of. No inerchangeable backs, though. They are dirt cheap now.

Is there a certain size of medium format that is more popular for landscape photography?

The wider the better for landscape. Widest you'll see without going into the panoramic range would be 6x9 (2.25x3.25). At that size, you're looking at a press camera like a Graflex XL or a Mamiya Press. Something like a Fuji 690 would be superb but expensive. Otherwise, 6x7 would be your best bet. 645 is not an ideal format for landscape.

The wider the better for landscape. Widest you'll see without going into the panoramic range would be 6x9 (2.25x3.25). At that size, you're looking at a press camera like a Graflex XL or a Mamiya Press. Something like a Fuji 690 would be superb but expensive. Otherwise, 6x7 would be your best bet. 645 is not an ideal format for landscape.

Are there any 6x7's that you could recommend looking at? I'm looking to spend less than 300$ on ebay.

645 is not an ideal format for landscape.

To give an alternative point of view, I chose 645 specifically because I do more landscape than anything else but I needed something relatively portable because I have to walk quite long distances with my equipment. I looked at 6x7s like the Mamiya RB but they are significantly bigger and heavier than the Bronica ETRSi that I ended up with, and at the time were quite a lot more expensive too. 6x6 is no good, for obvious reasons.

Of course if I were buying now I'd probably get both, because they are all so ridiculously cheap.

I've always thought that 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 folders were ideal for landscape work. I used an Autorange 820 for many years before replacing it with a Bessa II. Here's the Bessa II with a new lens:

6503830-lg.jpg

They are both 6x9 rangefinder cameras with 105 mm lenses. Though the Bessa II generally goes for more than $300 on eBay, there are plenty of other folding cameras. See http://www.certo6.com/ for lots more options.

Folding MF cameras are much easier to carry than most reflex cameras. Fuji showed a prototype of a 6x7 folder at PMA this year. Hopefully it will go into production.

There are also the folding Plaubel Makina 6x7 cameras with Nikkor lenses. I have the 67 and W67 and like them very much. Unfortunately parts are getting very hard to find. They still sell for fairly high prices. They are smaller and lighter than my Nikon D3, but are capable of image quality that far surpasses it.

Best,
Helen

Try the Mamiya RB 67. They are a great camera and they are inexpensive. I would suggest a storefront opperation like KEH to do buisiness with. They are honest and easy to deal with. You also have someone to complain to if something goes wrong. Or if you like the feel of a 35 mm SLR you could try the PENTAX 67. They are little more expensive to get into, but they are an easy jump from shooting 35`s. Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back