Ditching the shoulder bag?

Shoulder Bag or Belt System?

• Shoulder Bag (Domke, sling style, ect)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Belt System

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John_Scarpa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For years I've shot with a Domke shoulder bag, and I had a crazy idea last week. I took my 70-200 and its bag its shipped with, and then strapped that to my belt. It got me thinking about ditching the domke and picking up a Think Tank Skin belt system.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Skin line from Think Tank? My goal is to take the weight off my shoulders so I don't feel like a hunchback after an 8hr event.

My main style of shooting is all journalism based with multimedia equipment being thrown in every now and then.

I voted for belt system. New-fangled. I dunno...depends on how MUCH stuff you want to carry, and how it will be used (lots of lens switching? very little lens switching? 2 zooms? 2 zooms and one, or two primes? ANy flash gear needed?

I do not think there is one, definitive system that is the best for all days or for all projects or all events/jobs. And of course, it depends on the camera size and weight to a degree....a D3x or a D4s is a BIG, HEAVY camera....and a 70-200/2.8 is much bigger and heavier than a light prime lens trio like a 24/50/85 set.

Most photographers have multiple bags for different situations. So get what you think will be the most comfortable and convenient for you.

I have different sized Domke's depending on what I need. With the large bag I always take more than I need, but with news, especially breaking news, it is better to have and want not ... than to want and have not. The smaller bags still hold a lot and are still easy/fast to get in and out. Of late I've been more selective with my choices and been packing a small sling bag. It is out of the way when I don't need it and right there like a kangaroo's pouch when I do need it. Slings are not nearly as fast as a Domke bag, but then I'm not shooting news anymore either. (I'm not getting fired if I miss a shot.) I've never used a belt system, but I see them ... the photogs look like carpenters.

I have different sized Domke's depending on what I need. With the large bag I always take more than I need, but with news, especially breaking news, it is better to have and want not ... than to want and have not. The smaller bags still hold a lot and are still easy/fast to get in and out. Of late I've been more selective with my choices and been packing a small sling bag. It is out of the way when I don't need it and right there like a kangaroo's pouch when I do need it. Slings are not nearly as fast as a Domke bag, but then I'm not shooting news anymore either. (I'm not getting fired if I miss a shot.) I've never used a belt system, but I see them ... the photogs look like carpenters.

You mean you don't go on a shoot with this amount of gear?
https://petapixel.com/2017/05/06/heres-one-photographers-camera-kit-kentucky-derby/

I use my bag to transport my kit from house to car and back. When I am out on foot, I either stick to the lens on the camera or have a second lens in my pocket. Any filters, remote release etc will also be in a pocket.

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/06/heres-one-photographers-camera-kit-kentucky-derby/
LOL ... I limit my hardware to one bag ... I'd need a bag and a backpack for that stuff.

LOL ... I limit my hardware to one bag ... I'd need a bag and a backpack for that stuff.

And a 6x8 enclosed trailer!

I've had good luck using a Lowepro lens case for the larger of two lenses on my belt (the other mounted to my camera). I tried carrying 2 lenses in cases on my belt, one on each side, and I felt as if I were 'waddling' as a result. I also had trouble keeping my pants up as well.

If I were to carry 2 lenses plus whatever else on my belt, I think I'd come up with some type of suspender-like system to support the added weight on my belt. Regular suspenders are too narrow and won't support the weight of a big lens or two. I'm thinking of something like using two quick release camera shoulder straps (wide, padded shoulder) and using D-Rings or something similar completely around the belt to attach the straps to. That way, the shoulder straps can be easily repositioned as desired during the day to shift the shoulder 'loading' as well as changes of what's hanging on your belt.

Ok, well I finally ended up getting the think tank speed racer. Its a combo between a belt system and shoulder bag. The part that I liked was the ability to add pouches on the belt part if needing to expand a little for larger events or packing extra stuff.

I thought I scored a sweet Domke on ebay, but the guy never shipped it. Today I saw that on KEH for about $100 off B&H prices while being in excellent condition.

I abandoned DSLR's to get rid of carrying a bag. I can hang my camera and one lens around my neck and another lens can go in my pocket.

I use a roller case.
And I set up what I need on a table.

Fmw, I'd go that route if I didn't have so much invested in Nikon glass already, and also when mirrorless can keep up in the photojournalism world. The whole mirror less system really has gotten my interest, but I just can't justify it yet.

chuasam, that was my setup when I did weddings a few years ago during the receptions. I'd use two bodies, and if I needed something I grab it from the bag/table where I had everything stashed at. Now I'm on the move so much that I needed everything on me while also being quickly accessible. Even if I went back to weddings I think I'd do the think tank belt system since my shooting style has changed so much.

Most reactions

Back