do I buy a Used Vivitar 285 or a speedflash?

subtleRIPPLE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and really appreciate any insight.

I have the opportunity to buy a used Vivitar 285 (currently selling on Ebay for between $50 and $80) from a friend who is a long time prof. photographer.

I am an amature, slowly gathering equiptment. This would be my first flash. I just bought a D80 and read that I should not use mounted flashes that send more than 250V or my camera may have problems. I cannot determine if this flash exceeds the nikon suggested limit.

I'm happy to buy the Vivitar for $50 bucks, practice and get to understand using flashes better and then buy a speedflash in a year or so, IF the vivitar is not going to hurt my D80 OR is going to be usefull, with a digital camera.

What would you do in my situation, and how much is the max you'd pay for this flash?

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

A newer 285 should have pretty safe voltage. If your worried about it I think Weine (spelling ?) make a voltage limiting hot shoe adaptor. A 283 is also a nice flash that can be had for not very much money.

The Vivitar will work fine with your Nikon camera. It won't have all the snazzy TTL metering and auto zooming and auto fill flash and other modern marvels but it is a powerful unit and reliable. Take care.

Thanks! I bought the Vivitar 285 HV and have some beautiful shots because of it. Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back