Do I need a 2nd Camera?

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just begun to do concert photography for my site and besides the usual lighting issues, I am wondering if I should pick-up another Nikon (?) to use @ shows? Not having to change my lens would help me remain in the moment without having to stop, find light and switch out the lens.
Appreciate any guidance.
jorge

having 2 camera would be the best option if you wanna use multiple lens.

That's what I do for shooting sports: 2 bodies - one on a monopod (long lens, (150-500mm) and the other on a Black Rapid RS strap with a short lens (24-85) for the close in work.

Black Rapid and a couple of other strap makers have harnesses for carrying 2 bodies at once.

That's what I do for shooting sports: 2 bodies - one on a monopod (long lens, (150-500mm) and the other on a Black Rapid RS strap with a short lens (24-85) for the close in work.

Black Rapid and a couple of other strap makers have harnesses for carrying 2 bodies at once.

i just had a look at the blackrapids website.

i really like the double strap.

too bad i dont have 2 bodies! haha

The strap/harness makes sense... thanks...

My D90 is new....so I am looking @ a previously owned Nikon body? Not sure where to go?

I have just begun to do concert photography for my site and besides the usual lighting issues, I am wondering if I should pick-up another Nikon (?) to use @ shows? Not having to change my lens would help me remain in the moment without having to stop, find light and switch out the lens.
Appreciate any guidance.
jorge

seems like a good idea. anything that saves you time, in a time-critical situation, is useful.

My D90 is new....so I am looking @ a previously owned Nikon body? Not sure where to go?
i would check out adorama

KEH.com and www.bhphotovideo.com and click on the "Used Dept" tab on the right.

Adorama.com also has an active used department.

Don't buy used from Adorama, they're either gouging their used prices or they're just not keeping up with the market and staying competitive.

Example: B&H: Nikon 80-200 AF-D, 9 quality rating (shows signs of use, but very clean), and comes with case - $689
Used Nikon | Zoom Telephoto 80-200mm f/2.8 D-AF ED-IF | 1985

Adorama: Same Nikon 80-200 AF-D, either E quality rating (Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use) for $899
1986G Nikon 80-200 2.8 Ed Af-d W/bracket *77
or V quality rating (Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.) for $824
1986G Nikon 80-200 2.8 Ed Af-d W/bracket *77

So unless I'm missing something here, I'd put a huge grain of salt on whatever price Adorama offers. And oh yeah, couple days ago B&H had a good-quality Nikon 105mm VR Macro lens for $699 used, which is a god-low price and I would've picked it up but I think I'm going to save my money for one of the Holy Trinity.

There are different ways to approach it. One is two similar bodies with a wide angle macro zoom on one and a longer telephoto on the other. You won't need to change lenses and you will have the advantage of speed particular in getting sports shots.

Another is a full frame body and a crop body camera. The full frame will give you more detail but the crop body will give you a longer reach....as in 450mm (35mm equivalent) for a 300mm lens.

A third approach is different cameras based on features as in the following spread between 2 cameras: 10 frames per second, low noise features, built-in panorama shooting and stitching for group shots, built in blending of shots for HDR, 12 to 14bit raw images, etc.

skieur

There are different ways to approach it. One is two similar bodies with a wide angle macro zoom on one and a longer telephoto on the other. You won't need to change lenses and you will have the advantage of speed particular in getting sports shots.

Another is a full frame body and a crop body camera. The full frame will give you more detail but the crop body will give you a longer reach....as in 450mm (35mm equivalent) for a 300mm lens.

A third approach is different cameras based on features as in the following spread between 2 cameras: 10 frames per second, low noise features, built-in panorama shooting and stitching for group shots, built in blending of shots for HDR, 12 to 14bit raw images, etc.

skieur

Thank you for suggesting 3 approaches. In my last shoot, I did have time to change my lens, but it was so dark I used a pen light to change and make some changes. I need to better understand what I have currently. I am a virgin when it comes to understanding DSLR cameras. jorge

I do not think Adorama's used prices are that outrageous, any examples?
N.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back