Do I need a tripod?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mom got me a 65inch (I think) tripod along with my new D3200 for Xmas and I'm wondering if it's something I'll need. I guess it couldn't hurt when taking landscape photos. I was reading Ken Rockwell's site and he said you don't need one, etc.

What do you think?

Also, my tripod I think costs around $40. What's the difference between that and a several hundred dollar one? Build quality, etc?

Absolutely. Get used to the camera and learn proper exposure first. The tripod is a valuable piece of gear and will open your photography up to a bunch of great options.

For long exposure och nightscape photography the tripod is an absolute nessecity in my mind. But get to know your camera and learn exposure and then start experimenting, long exposure can be very fun and rewarding.

Its not just landscape, tripod is a must when you want "clean flashless photos" (that is without noise) in low light. When it gets darker, you need to either popup flash or use a tripod otherwise you'll have a lot of noise in your photos which you might not (or might) :) like.

Pricey tripods are usually more sturdy (stands solid even under wind), or have other features like getting into different and difficult angels.

...........I was reading Ken Rockwell's site and he said you don't need one, etc.
Which just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, especially everything you read on Ken Rockwell's site.
Using a tripod will not only give you sharper images but it will also slow you down and force you to think more about your framing and composition.

Mom got me a 65inch (I think) tripod along with my new D3200 for Xmas and I'm wondering if it's something I'll need. I guess it couldn't hurt when taking landscape photos. I was reading Ken Rockwell's site and he said you don't need one, etc.

What do you think?

Also, my tripod I think costs around $40. What's the difference between that and a several hundred dollar one? Build quality, etc?

First, a $40 tripod (unless you're talking something small like a gorillapod or it's used or Mom mugged a pro photographer for his tripod and then tossed two $20's on his limp body as she sauntered away, tripod in hand) is a waste of money. Tripods can do lots of things, none of them do them all perfectly and depending upon what your priorities are, that affects what type of tripod you want to get. But the one constant that must be true of a decent tripod (or better) is: it should keep your camera stable. And a $40 tripod (minus the exceptions I mentioned above) just won't do that. It will hold a camera so you can run in front and pose next to the Grand Canyon with a cheesy smile. But it won't do what a serious photographer would use a tripod for...keep it stable and level or allow you to shoot 3 second waterfall shots or 30 second astro shots or long exposures for an interior with low light.

Second, as I said, a tripod has different priorities. Do you want to be able to travel with it (so it fits in carry-on luggage)? Then it's probably legs with 4 segments (less stable) but very compact. Shooting interiors and architecture? You want a level on it. Hiking great distances? You want composite (so it's as light as possible while still being stable). Shooting food? You want a center column that can go horizontal. Shooting outdoors in rocky or uneven terrain? Than you probably want a tripod with spikes on the legs. Shooting macro? You want legs that will go wide enough that you can be inches off the ground. Are you especially tall? Then you need a long center column. Shooting sports with a 400mm zoom? Then you probably want a monopod. I could go on. But ideally, you get clear on how you'll use the tripod and then find one that meets those needs. But the one constant--it has to be rock-solid stable.

Third, what to use it for? Long exposures of water (like a waterfall). Astro photography. Interiors with low natural light. Landscapes (especially the "blue" hour). When you've got a big lens on your camera and keeping it stable is a challenge. Some wildlife photography (where you get away from the camera so the wildlife will get closer).

You don't "need" a tripod for most photographs that most amateurs do. And a clever pro can make do without a tripod (I've used a bungee cord, a bean bag, a stable rock, a door frame when a tripod wasn't an option). But if you want to shoot the stuff I mentioned above, having a tripod is invaluable. Look at it this way, you don't NEED a circular polarizer filter to shoot landscapes. But it makes landscape photos so much easier and effective and powerful. I rarely use a tripod but I always use it for certain types of photos or concepts.

As for a good one...depends upon what you're trying to shoot (see above). I have a gorillapod, a cheap REI folding triangle, a camera clamp, a bungee cord, and two Manfrotto tripods (one of which is for travel and folds down to about 12 inches). The two Manfrotto's cost me $180 and $300 respectively.

Here are a couple of examples...Beach-4 is in Oregon and is a long exposure b/c of the low light (and incredible color) after the sun has set. Estes Park-1 is a long exposure with the intention of blurring the water next to the snow and ice in the creek. Fork is a macro shot...you need a tripod to keep the camera stable as you get the precise DoF. Orchid-1...a paph macro shot (which again requires a tripod for precision). Portland dog-1...that's a panning shot that required a tripod so I got smooth blur for the runner and surroundings but a relatively sharp dog. Vernal Falls is a long exposure (I believe with a NDF during high noon in Yosemite in August). All of these shots required a tripod to make them happen.

Attachments

• Beach-4.jpg
    Beach-4.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Estes Park creek-1.jpg
    Estes Park creek-1.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Fork-1.jpg
    Fork-1.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 178
  • orchid-1.jpg
    orchid-1.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Portland-dog-1.jpg
    Portland-dog-1.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Vernal Falls-Yosemite.JPG
    Vernal Falls-Yosemite.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 203
Which just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, especially most of what you read on Ken Rockwell's site.
FIFY

Word of advice: If Ken Rockwell says to do something one way the best thing to do is the exact opposite.

Before even opening this thread to read further my answer was and is yes. For me, a tripod belongs to the essential equipment list - right up there with a light meter.

You'll need one more times than you can imagine just now. You'll probably purchase a better (more sturdy) one someday, but for now, use the one you have and get some practice using it.

I kept the cheap one that I got with my kit and since it is small enough and light enough, I keep it in my gadget bag to always have one with me. I have two others as well, but since they are heavier, I need to consciously plan to take them anywhere.

A tripod is essential equipment unless you only do photography on a limited casual basis and don't aspire to any of the advanced photography a tripod makes possible.

You can get only 2 of the following 3 attributes in a tripod:
Cheap
Stable
Light

A light and stable tripod is expensive.
A light and cheap tripod is unstable.
A stable and cheap tripod is heavy.

As others have have said - a more expensive tripod will give you better stability. Is it possible for you to post the brand/model of tripod your Mom purchased for you? I think the main thing is to make sure that the tripod you have is capable of supporting the weight of your camera and lens or you may end up with a broken camera or lens. The first tripod I had was a cheapo from Target (had to get something for a class I was taking and didn't have any $ money for a nicer one, I think it was in the $40 range) and it worked great for me for a few years and I still have it. I would have no issue using it on a nice level surface indoors but wouldn't trust it if I was outdoors on uneven ground or it was windy. I recently purchased a slightly nicer tripod which is much sturdier (got a good deal on a Manfrotto tripod). It's not top of the line but will work for what I do until I can finally decide on a higher end tripod. I think that having a tripod is very important even if you don't think you will ever use it - I never thought I would use one and find myself using it a few times a month.

I am always trying to not use my tripod outdoors, and always regret it! It's invaluable for macro work, and of corse selfies. ;-)

You've gotten some great advice above already!

Yes, if you desire to explore a full spectrum of what photography has to offer ... but probably not that tripod. It will be difficult at best ... if not impossible to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/15th or less without a tripod or equal. Do you need a tripod right away ... probably not ... will you ultimately want a tripod ... probably.

If you're just shooting casual people shots or things like vacation photos, probably not. But if you're serious about photography especially landscape, you'll use a tripod at least for certain shots. Your $40 tripod may be fine. Try it and see how it works for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back