Do I need an expensive tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Very frequently newbies ask if an expensive tripod is worth it. This video illustrates nicely what you get when you skimp. Granted, their expensive example is very expensive, and the cheap ones are VERY cheap. But when it comes to your gear, why risk it?

No, you may not need a $600+ tripod, but a tripod is one of those things you should never skimp on.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you do need a sturdy one, it doesn't have to be expensive. At least a nice ball head and a lever for panning!

unless you buy new, the two are usually mutual. My tripod (Bogen 3011 with 3010 pan head) was about $250 new, and can be found on ebay for less than $100 now. It's not a super expensive tripod as far as tripods go, but it's not super cheap either. It's better to get one on the heavier side than a cheap lightweight one, and $100 makes an ENORMOUS difference in quality. A $90 Sunpak from BestBuy is certainly NOT worth $90.

Also, you DO NOT need a ball head. I personally really don't like them.

Last edited:
... Also, you DO NOT need a ball head. I personally really don't like them.
This is usually a good way to tell a good tripod from a "Cheap" (regardless of price) tripod. A "Good" tripod comes without a head so that the purchaser can decide which style head that they want. I've tried different kinds of heads and the majority of the time ALL I want is a good, sturdy ball head. I have a gear head I use at home for macro stuff but it's too heavy and too slow for anything else. I personally can't stand pan heads for anything at all. No matter what I do that pan arm is in my way.

You can buy an imitation 3-section leg Gitzo carbon fiber from Adorama for $99 to $129 without a head. Weight? Around six pounds or so,without a head. Flashpoint Carbon Fiber. Design and appearance are very similar to those of Gitzo...pretty much an imitation.

That's actually a cute video. A little long but fun to watch ;)

I guess I should rush right out and spend more than the cost of a good EF-S zoom lens on something I use perhaps 3-5 times per year, to take pictures of inanimate objects. And some occassional night shooting outdoors. Right?

Or will my 40+ year old, cheap-at-the-time, well made, all aluminum, bought at Target, $30 Velbon tripod do the job? Although it can't get lower than about 2 feet, and certainly not upside down like the Gitzo, it works very well for my purposes. I used to mount a pair of 35mm cameras with long lenses on them to it. I also think it could take more beating than a Gitzo, too. I did make one modification, however. I added a screw clamp to it so I can move my L-bracketed camera on and off quickly and easily.

The video clearly demonstrates the difference between a cheapo tripod and a good one. If I were looking to make a living with a camera, or frequently used a tripod, yes, a good, sturdy, lightweight tripod is a necessity. If I thought a good wind can blow down my latest pride & joy 5D3 with some L glass on the tripod I have, that would be more than enough cause to replace it. My only fear is the clumsy klutz that I am (or someone else) will trip over it and there goes the show. But that's one of the things my home owners insurance rider policy covers.

To me, rushing out and getting an expensive tripod is no different than rushing out and buying a bunch of lenses before one even has fully understood the basics of photography... Getting any tripod or extra lenses should be one of filling a real need, not "oh, you must get a ...".

Last edited:
I remember once I went into a camera shop to buy a tripod and I went for the cheapest. The poor girl started trying to talk me out of it until I told her I just needed a cheap stand for a flash and didn't care how much it wobbled.

The video clearly demonstrates the difference between a cheapo tripod and a good one. If I were looking to make a living with a camera, or frequently used a tripod, yes, a good, sturdy, lightweight tripod is a necessity.

The "lightweight" aspect is what really drives up the price from my experience. My 3011 is heavy, but relatively inexpensive. With a strap though, it's hardly a problem and I doubt I'd really notice too much of a difference once secured around my shoulder.

I'm not going to risk thousands of dollars worth of camera and lens on a $30 tripod whether I use it once, or every time I'm out. Not to say you need the top of the line Gitzo, but do your homework and get some quality. I'd say the most important thing to do is go get hands on and compare for yourself.

My feeling is that for people who are tempted to get a $30 tripod, a $150 tripod is going to be "expensive". For people who are tempted to get a $150 tripod, a $300 is going to be "expensive".

Whatever your budget is for a tripod, increase it. You don't need a 6' carbon fiber gitzo if you're 5'3" and plan to use it only occasionally. But, if you're 6'7" and plan on going out every weekend on hikes, having a tall, lightweight tripod would be more useful.

No matter though, a sub-$100 is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe 40 years ago they built them better (I too had a 40 year old Velbon that was quite sturdy) but today that isn't the case. Plastic fantastics from Bust Buy are overpriced and wobbly.

The cheap-o's have their place.

Like putting a P&S on it, and using the self-timer. On a sunny day. So you can get in the picture.

That's all I can think of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back