Do I need an expensive tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is four years and three months too long?

You can buy an imitation 3-section leg Gitzo carbon fiber from Adorama for $99 to $129 without a head. Weight? Around six pounds or so,without a head. Flashpoint Carbon Fiber. Design and appearance are very similar to those of Gitzo...pretty much an imitation.
Maybe. I haven't used that particular one but I have used cheap carbon fiber tripods and found all of them to be not sturdy enough for my needs. They may copy a premier brand cosmetically but not in terms of performance in my experience. I generally recommend three section aluminum legs for those on a budget. It is what I use myself. The only truly important thing about tripods is sturdiness. Weight, materials, cosmetics etc. should be secondary. If it won't hold your camera and lens steady, it is of no value at all.

If a $99 tripod were performing like a Gitzo everyone would have one including me.

In all categories of photography, a tripod can always be a helpful tool,whether it's framing the perfect wildlife shot, or capturing the best portrait possible, tripods will always help get the job done. The question is, do you really need to spend $500 for a decent one? The direct answer is no, you do not. So maybe it has the super reinforced legs and 5 levels on it with a phone holder attached to it but in reality, do you actually need all of that? For the past few months I have been shooting with a tripod that cost me $30, allowing me to invest more into my camera and lenses. So far, that tripod has worked perfectly even after the adventures I put it through. From bushwhacking for 5 hours to crossing long and deep rivers, it ceases to let me down. When buying a tripod it comes down to asking yourself if you absolutely need that extra oiled pivotal head or do you just think it would be cool to have? My point is If you do not have a massive photography budget but still want a tripod, don't bother spending hundreds, buy the most inexpensive one that is obtainable and make it work. Now if you do have a larger budget then buying a higher end tripod will definitely help you, I am just telling you that it is not a mandatory item. Who knows, maybe you shoot better free hand, maybe you need a monopod, go out and see what works for you and build from that! myeyecreative.weebly.com
View attachment 137940
@pixmedic @tirediron Actually the poster is pushing his weebly blog website ... the last part of his posting. the new poster is doing this in his other thread posting today too.

Zombie Read.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back