Do I need Newer P&S or DSLR

cjt_7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Kodak DX6490 4 mp & 10x zoom & am mostly taking pics of sports my kids are in & family snapshots. I get "decent" pics for the camera but this is what is frustrating me most:

1. Slow start up time
2. Seems like takes a long time to focus
3. Takes long to process & store pics to card
4. Would like to be able to zoom more of daughter playing in outfield but that may only be solved with a different lens
5. Almost impossible to take pictures at night ballgames... I mess with the PASM settings but can't seem to get it right

I would like to upgrade but am not sure I can justify a DSLR because of cost. I only do this as a hobby & take pics of all team members & give them to the girls & am not making any money. Is there another point & shoot camera that will allow me to take action photos that is more advanced than the dx6490 but not costing as much as a dslr?

Well I don't know... it's your decision...

Pics = P&S

Photographs = DSLR (IF you are willing to learn to use it. If you just wanna leave it on auto, then see the part of my post about "pics".)

I'm sorry, I guess I need to rephrase my question a little. I did read the posts
on the beginners forum faq/ tutorial thread & have researched the dslr cameras (mostly canon & nikon but have looked at the Pentax a little) and am still not sure I can justify the cost. So to rephrase my question: I don't know how to find cameras that are on the more advanced end of the point & shoot cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions on which cameras (brand & "model") I could compare that might work for me?

Well... the title of your post is "Do I need Newer P&S or DSLR" so I'm sure you see how one could be confused.

A short list:
Sony H-50
Fujifilm S6000fd
Panasonic DSC-FZ18
Fuji S100FS
Panasonic Fz50
and the best one is currently, by default:

The Sony DSC-R1. Only bridge camera with an APS-C CMOS sensor.

Yes, I am sorry about that. (Can I change the title now? :D)

I was going to try to upload a few pictures for suggestions & to see if I really need to upgrade or if I am just jealous of what I see others are using at these games. However, I am not a subscriber at the moment & don't use 3rd party host either right now so I guess I won't do that & will just research the suggestions you have given me.

Thanks.

you can link pictures directly off of facebook too, if you have it.

what i'm curious about is what makes you believe a DSLR will give you better pics, and second, what price range are you looking at?

I don't know that it will give me better pictures but will offer faster start up & focus & will allow me to get more action photos with more fps & quicker storage w/ larger buffer. I'm not sure that I really need more zoom or not. Everything I look at looks expensive to me & I really haven't discussed with my husband what we could even afford... I'm just getting anxious because the softball team is going to nationals the end of July (I want the camera for that but not sure we can afford it because of going to nationals)

Well you still haven't posted any pictures, and I gave you a link so....

shrug.jpg

you can link pictures directly off of facebook too, if you have it.

what i'm curious about is what makes you believe a DSLR will give you better pics, and second, what price range are you looking at?

Well in general, a DSLR will have more potential to give better pics, technically speaking, one of the main reasons being the larger and more advanced image sensors, processors, ability to attach way better lenses, etc. Of course you have to know how to use it, but, in general I think it's safe to say a DSLR will produce better pics than a P&S.

I tried to upload to image shack & my computer just locks up??

Most reactions

Back