Do most prefer lighter or darker

tedgtfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
WHEN EDITING photos do most people prefer lighter or darker images. Or as a general rule do you want to keep the histogram fairly centered. Thanks all
And can anyone tell me how to get images to appear here without link?

968830989_f5e50b5014_o.jpg

969685114_15c6e59c4f_o.jpg

I can't say that I have a preference for "lighter" images or "darker" images. I prefer images that are properly exposed and reflect reality (more or less). :)

I can't say that I have a preference for "lighter" images or "darker" images. I prefer images that are properly exposed and reflect reality (more or less). :)

yep, that about sums it up. There are certain exceptions when trying to properly expose for certain areas. Generally you want your histogram as centered as possible.

JC

You copy the URL, Ted, and if the URL is all that is "on offer", you can make use of the little image icon in the line above your reply box, i.e. the little yellow square with a grey mountain and a grey sun. Click on that, a new communication box will show, and paste the URL in there. Make sure you don't end with http: // twice.

With regards to your primary question: it feels like I tend to go for "stronger" photos, a little darker, not too much, but the histogrammes show a slight tendency to be somewhat more "filled" on the left. So of the two versions you are showing here, "mine" would probably have been the first.

You copy the URL, Ted, and if the URL is all that is "on offer", you can make use of the little image icon in the line above your reply box, i.e. the little yellow square with a grey mountain and a grey sun. Click on that, a new communication box will show, and paste the URL in there. Make sure you don't end with http: // twice.

With regards to your primary question: it feels like I tend to go for "stronger" photos, a little darker, not too much, but the histogrammes show a slight tendency to be somewhat more "filled" on the left. So of the two versions you are showing here, "mine" would probably have been the first.

Thank you , I appreciate your help and advice ;)
and also Jen and JC Thanks

I think it depends on the subject and what you want to portray, if you are gonig for a horror shot and want a guy lurking with a knife, you don't want a bright image. It really depends for me.

My objective in editing with respect to light or dark is simply to try to ensure that there is detail in the highlight areas (they are not washed out) and equally that there is detail in the dark areas (they are not solid black.) The histogram should go from left to right without being cut off at either end and not disappearing before either end.

skieur

Most reactions

Back