Do People Even Use Search On This Forum

Just kidding, hehe. The search tool can be valuable, but for specific questions, you often need to ask. Most people are happy to help. It seems like with photography, the more experienced love to teach the less experienced (atleast moreso than other hobbies).

every day I come here there seems to be all the same new topics. I can't tell you how many time's I've seen the title "beginner camera" "Nikon vs Canon" "teach me aperture and shutter speed" "whats a polarizer for".... to name a few... NEW USERS.... there is a search function in this forum and hundreds of people have asked these questions before... lets get something new on here....

and by the way... not to pound on you or anything... but your second post to this forum last may was...

"What should I shoot RAW or JPG?"

the mother of all documented questions... don't forget where you came from... we are all brothers and sisters here....

and by the way... not to pound on you or anything... but your second post to this forum last may was...

"What should I shoot RAW or JPG?"

the mother of all documented questions... don't forget where you came from... we are all brothers and sisters here....

:thumbup:

What I would like to see is a sticky of the top 5 things such as top 5 books, top 5 cameras, top 5 portrait lenses...etc. Everyone could vote for what they believe the top 5 is. That atleast would have helped me out in the beginning. When I first started I had no clue where to really begin. Having some sort of sticky that pointed noobies in the right direction for getting the right equipment, and for basic learning might answer a lot of the questions and make it easier to get you started in the world of photography.

hmm I would do recomended lists, but I would not limit them to numbers - that (IMO) is a little limiting on the advice - but certainly within such threads there could be refrenced the common information give by members

Sorry, I won't suggest anything else...:mrgreen: j/k

Yeah, I agree, just a list would be good.

Not to jump on anyone but this section of the forum is "The Beginners Place". It is more than likely that you will find repeated questions that are posted by new and excited members ready to participate. They can use and find their answers by using the search option but it's the interaction that hypes the fresh.

every day I come here there seems to be all the same new topics. I can't tell you how many time's I've seen the title "beginner camera" "Nikon vs Canon" "teach me aperture and shutter speed" "whats a polarizer for".... to name a few... NEW USERS.... there is a search function in this forum and hundreds of people have asked these questions before... lets get something new on here....

Geez, you know how many times we talked about this very matter THIS week??!!?!?!?!?!?!?

JKJKJK

haha

Ive left several forums just cause i couldnt stand replying the same thing for every post.

I admit before I started really reading I posted a lot of the same questions new members post. I believe JerryPH gave me an epiphany by saying use google. now that I try look first then ask i admit I get annoyed when people ask the raw vs jpg, canon vs nikon, will buying this camera make me a famous photographer, etc.

but hey...we were all there.

Now I use research and use this forums research if I am stuck.

Yeah i think the questions that come up time and time again can get fustrating but i also feel its great way for a new member to intergrate themselves onto the forum, especially if they are nervous posting up shots straight away :)

Another way to look at this...

Part of my job involves supervising students and lecturing hospital staff like nurses, ward orderlies, physicians, doctors, medical students &c...
So imagine if every time one of these people asks me a question...
Sir... What is the function of the nucleus ambiguous in feeding..???
And I say "Go and look it up in Lewinson's Applied Neurophysiology"
1) I haven't answered the question - and I'm s'posed to be the expert
2) They are none the wiser for the remainder of the lecture - and will probably have to spend a great deal of time and read a whole lot of literature before they become wiser
3) Lewinson's book demands that the reader has a thorough knowledge of the anatomy and biophysiology of the brain
4) The questioner (left to his/her own devices) may come up with an answer that is totally incorrect or misleading

Suppose I'm a total newbie and I want to know what is a pixel...

Typing pixel into the search engine will give you a multitude of responses ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous... So how do I know (as a total newbie) or how do I find out, what I want to know... I just wanna know what is a pixel... I don't need to know - nor will I understand this notion of RGB receptors with ranges of 0 - 255... And I don't want to know the difference between different sensors, or their pros and cons... and it will be useful for me to read that I can print a bigger/better image with 12.1 megapixels than I can with 3 megapixels - but that doesn't really tell me what I want to know... But maybe if I keep reading... and reading...

Oh... and if you really REALLY want to know what the function of the nucleus ambiguous is in feeding - or if you even want to know what the heck the nucleus ambiguous is... then just ask me...
Jedo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back