Do/would you show/send unedited images?

Tell her there was a giant piece of snot hanging out of her nose.

My main cameras all have 180 deg flip screens, I simply always leave them with the black plastic back facing out and when they ask I give them a quick look and simply say "My camera's don't have screens". Another plus of electronic view finders is all info that is visible on the LCD is also available right in the EVF.
I never use the back LCD and wish it was removable.

I don't personally care what people see, when they see it, etc.

If I'm shooting digital, I often as not have my wifi-app open on my iPad so people can watch the pictures pop up as I shoot them.

I am not the Wizard of Oz, I don't need to hide behind a curtain.

When I worked in the news business as a shooter for a daily paper, I would pass out contact sheets to the editors and they would go over my images one at a time and choose what they wanted enlarged, and these editors were not in the least shy about telling me what they thought about my shots (especially if they thought the shots sucked).

It didn't kill me, in fact it made me better because I could see through their eyes things that I miss.

I expect I will probably be the only person who posts here who really honestly doesn't care who sees his pictures right out of the camera, but I figure life's too short to get my panties in a bunch over what some random person thinks of my photographs... if they think I suck, they can go hire/draft/whatever somebody else.

In a word, no.

Like most I will occasionally show shots on an LCD screen of the camera but I don't hand out shots until I am reasonably happy with them. Sometimes they are good enough SOOC but for the most part I edit before anyone gets their hands on them. Nowadays I only really show my good shots, or if someone is interested in the editing I do (which usually isn't much these days but I had a friend ask recently on a cell phone shot I took which I had edited very lightly - he almost fell off his chair when he saw the original). I'm not particularly secretive about sub par shots but I don't show them off or give them away.

I find the sorry but everything else has been wiped excuse to work.

No. My crap needs to be edited.

I will regularly let people see 10 to 20 of what I call "sneak peek" shots, unedited. I shoot pretty tight in-camera. Over the last 15 years I've even shot a few sets (two) ALL-JPEG, with no raws to back me up...totally by stupidity and totally by utter accident...and the images were pretty damned close to the way they needed to be. One set was all natural light, the other was all electronic flash. My idea of editing images is pretty minimalist, so most of the time my edits are not major revisions of my captures, so yeah, I'll often let people see around 20 sneak peek shots that are either SOOC from RAW + JPEG, or just batch conversion .JPG files made by Lightroom. When I export, I always add an appended _Preview.jpg or _Proof.jpg to the file name.

When I was first starting out, I was asked to shoot an event for a client. The client wanted the CF card at the end of the night. I told him I didn't do that, to which he replied "Everyone has his price". I told him my price for that was $3,500.00 dollars. It was a high-end event and a well-to-do client. He thought about it for a moment and said "Done".

I don't know what ever happened to those photos and, to be honest, I don't really care. If I'm doing a TFCD or a gratis shoot, I won't do it. If it's a paying client, then my price for that, now that we're many years down the road, is far more than $3,500.00.

In your case, I simply wouldn't do it. If she persists to bug you about it, invite her over to view the photos. Highlight all the ones you didn't want her to see, and let her watch as you hit the "Delete" key.

Some of the situation might be that you aren't getting paid so people may not always see you as 'a photographer' or 'a professional'; you're the person they got to take pictures for free, and edit them for free, and basically do work for free. Some people will try to take advantage if/when they can.
100% true

The advantage I think of having a website and contracts etc. is to have something to fall back on, something you can refer them back to (such as - remember in the contract it says____, or on my website it says____). That I think could help discourage the repeated asking.
I agree again... I have been wanting to build my website for quite some time but... idk why I don't do it

I wonder too if you are taking a lot of photos and the person hears the camera going off a lot, that they might wonder... I'd think if you have to take a lot of pictures that maybe you need to get in more practice with just your camera, so you aren't creating a situation where the person thinks - she took a lot of pictures, what happened to those? what do those look like? I guess they might feel like they're somehow missing out on something.

Obviously you have to allow for some movement or blinking etc. but that might be enough to explain. It sounds like this got into too much explaining or justifying taking a large number of photos and they won't get many of them.

From my experience it's not that they wonder why I'm clicking that many times (actually I don't click a lot at all) it's that they want all the pictures because they're taken with a good camera and they usually don't have access to that kind of camera. Good camera=good pictures, for them

Maybe with this one make it short and sweet, be clear and firm that you will provide the finished product in _____ (amount of time - a week, 2 weeks or whatever it takes at this point). Then I'd probably get them done as quick as I could! lol and sent to her and be done with this one! I think everybody probably encounters some people being difficult at times and it's a matter of learning how to deal with people that can be challenging.
I always give a detailed explanation about every little thing that 's related to me taking photographs of them. They know everything before we meet and shoot

Then maybe rethink doing practice or learning sessions with people other than friends you can trust. I think too you might be leaving yourself wide open; I don't know what it's like where you are but here, I think it would be better to do a session with a contract, payment, a release, insurance, etc.
I already mentioned that they sign releases.
well... where I live I could register as a photographer after I quit this job. And photography here isn't paid nearly as it is in USA/other countries, so I won't quit my job to pursue my passion because of obvious reasons.
I can do jobs that are paid occasionally but for now, I'm doing it for my pleasure

Is this best angel for capturing this movement

c5.jpg
You need to start your own thread for this question rather than in someone else's thread.

If someone asks for unedited images, I say that I shoot RAW (and I really do) and that they can't even see the image until I process it without specialized software.
That usually ends it.
I ja fotkam samo RAW i objasnim im sve kao ti ali ne pali uvijek :)

I use the same explanation but it doesn't work every time.

My main cameras all have 180 deg flip screens, I simply always leave them with the black plastic back facing out and when they ask I give them a quick look and simply say "My camera's don't have screens". Another plus of electronic view finders is all info that is visible on the LCD is also available right in the EVF.
I never use the back LCD and wish it was removable.
that's nice!

I don't personally care what people see, when they see it, etc.

If I'm shooting digital, I often as not have my wifi-app open on my iPad so people can watch the pictures pop up as I shoot them.

I am not the Wizard of Oz, I don't need to hide behind a curtain.

When I worked in the news business as a shooter for a daily paper, I would pass out contact sheets to the editors and they would go over my images one at a time and choose what they wanted enlarged, and these editors were not in the least shy about telling me what they thought about my shots (especially if they thought the shots sucked).

It didn't kill me, in fact it made me better because I could see through their eyes things that I miss.

I expect I will probably be the only person who posts here who really honestly doesn't care who sees his pictures right out of the camera, but I figure life's too short to get my panties in a bunch over what some random person thinks of my photographs... if they think I suck, they can go hire/draft/whatever somebody else.

showing unedited images to the clients and to the editors can't be the same

and I think vast majority of photographers wouldn't mind showing other photographers their unedited work because we understand the mater and know the whole process

Most reactions

New Topics

Back