Do you use a monopod a lot?

NO longer an old thread - now it's a current thread.............
I'm a strong monopod supporter (ha), I'm older and the walking stick aspect works well. It has a pointed metal end for dirt and a soft collar that comes down for hard surfaces. I did have to get a tripod head for it though because although the mono works great on a pan it's a bear to tilt.
The Wildlife Park near me does not allow tripods but monos are OK.

My wife and I both use mono-pods for birds and other wildlife...AND most places that ban tri-pods say nothing to you for using a monopod (museums, churches botanical gardens etc). With birds, it is especially useful, they move fast and often, and are half the time buried in dark places. That extra stop or two of slower shutter made possible by a steadier camera has saved many a shot for us. For those making ignorant comments about monopods, and not having one, or used one....please go away you are sucking up a lot of oxygen.

...and has been noted above: A ballhead is almost required. MAkes life enjoyable! ;)

The monopod is good for smacking the ^%#* out of the (insert name of animate object) when they act up.
:spank:

I got the best of both world, a Tripod+fluidhead that can be transformed into a monopod! ... Now why I bought this thing (a transforming tripod) is f-ing beyond me.

It has it's use though, Monopod when I have a heavy lens on the camera and I need to move quick and tripod for .. well... all the uses you can make off a tripod.

Yeay for 8 Years old post. Hey, the question would probably be asked one day or another, better recycling what's already there right?

I have an old Bogen aluminum two-section style that I bought in 1984. It looks kind of outdated to people today, I suppose, since it's not black. It's pretty old-school looking too, being larger in diameter than modern multi-section models. I don't use it very often these days except with a long lens at longer events, where I know I might end up being there for two to three hours. I've tried it with a same-vintage Cullman ballhead, and while that was "okay", I found that NO ballhead was easier to handle, since every lens I use the monopod with (400,300,200) has its own,solid, rotating tripod foot, and the camera spins between tall and wide format on the tripod collar.

I think if I owned a smaller, more-compact, lightweight model that I "might" be tempted to use it in low-light situations where I might be able to squeeze out another two shutter speeds worth of stability--but then by the same token, once you're down into the slow speed ranges, subject motion blur becomes a huge factor much of the time, so there might not be a real, justifiable net gain.

The thing I think the monopod does best is to keep the weight off your arms and elbows, especially if you are not in good shooting shape, or if you are sitting down at a shooting position and just want to keep the camera/lens combo up and pointed downrange, at events like say baseball games shooting from the stands above 3rd base, or at windsurfing along the Columbia, sitting on the rip-rap and waiting for surfers to pick a line that brings them toward you; if they can see you and the big lens, they will often (subconsciously?) head right toward your camera position.

Own two. Rarely use either. Also a hand holder greater than 98% of the time (guessing). I should use one to alert snakes when trekking through bushes.
Darned snakes :icon_pissedoff:

Guns are fine, depending on who's holding it.

Of course, here (in MD) it's against the law to kill a snake; some policymaker decided that they are all covered by the endangered species act. So now I'm gonna figure out how to pack them up and send them to Annapolis.:D

After my posting that I don't use a monopod for my 300 2.8 I had a photographer that showed up to shoot the football game I was covering. He knows who I am, and how much football I shoot, he says straight up "you should use a monopod, it would help you" "Help with what, I don't need one", he had no answer to that. But then being built physically bigger than him, I could understand his statement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back