The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why not post a request and a link to your on-site images here on this thread?

Then persons wishing to do some C/C can check this thread and see which images they haven't looked at yet.

Sort of an entire-site-C/C thing.

Critique is not the purpose of this particular forum section if you read:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14426
And so the idea put forward in this thread has no place here. Besides, it will almost certainly result in this section getting mistaken for a crit forum and people will start posting their pictures here.
If people want a crit then they can ask for it when they post an image.
If people want to do a crit then they can look through the various galleries and look for the requests.

didn't really want to start a debate in this thread, but if needs be we can debate here and start afreash:
*copy paste pm I just sent*

I like the idea, but I think you might want to take these ideas/suggestions into account

1) people should only post once and then edit thier post with new threads as and when they put them up - that way each person only has one single post in the thread and it does not turn into a dissucssion.

2) As this is essentially a list many people, (especially beginners) are going to be posting a basic list of thier shots on the forum - so it might be an idea to suggest that people direct link thier post in this thread in thier sig. That way anyone can instantly find the photos that a person has posted in thier time on this forum (these lists could get very long ;-)) A great idea when people have 100s of posts and only a few with thier photos

maybe not the correct forum, BUT
this may help prevent excessive bumping, of threads, I also find I occasionally miss threads if I have been away for a while, so I assume others may miss threads too.
OP made it clear, post links not pictures,
just my input :)

2) As this is essentially a list many people, (especially beginners) are going to be posting a basic list of thier shots on the forum - so it might be an idea to suggest that people direct link thier post in this thread in thier sig. That way anyone can instantly find the photos that a person has posted in thier time on this forum (these lists could get very long ;-)) A great idea when people have 100s of posts and only a few with thier photos

nice idea

Actually... we used to have a critique forum, but it became a place for banter and fighting (which I came to watch when I was bored, I might admit). I used it a lot, but there were certian posters that were blunt and sometimes mean and would get the OP offended (even if most of the time they were right). I was looking for the forum the other day and couldn't find it and realized that it has been removed (probably for the better).

Critique is not the purpose of this particular forum section if you read:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14426
And so the idea put forward in this thread has no place here. Besides, it will almost certainly result in this section getting mistaken for a crit forum and people will start posting their pictures here.
If people want a crit then they can ask for it when they post an image.
If people want to do a crit then they can look through the various galleries and look for the requests.

Well, if you haven't noticed, critique threads regularly end up in places like the beginner discussions and other forums besides the specific photography forums at the bottom, as well as topics like "what camera should I buy" ending up in the begginers forum, the beyond the basics forum, the photography discussion forum, the equipment review forum, the general shop talk forum, and a few others...

So hey...what's one more going to hurt?

well I (personally) think a thread like this (if it is going to work) could be stickied in the general Gallery - that way making it part of that section and encouraging more shots to be placed down there as opposed to up here ;)

Isn't there a "theme" forum onsite that this may work in?

For what it's worth, I really appreciate you starting this thread and I think its a fabulous idea. Sometimes I am in the mood for some good critiquing and get lost looking through gallerys. This would be a good way for those looking for a serious critique to get it from those looking to give a serious critique. Not just a "good job."

The critique forum was a double edged sword. There were people who wanted to help and gave good advice, and then there were those that only wanted to see images and ideas similar to their own and when someone did something different, things got a little heated.

And being the internet and all, it's much easier to be really mean than it would if you were critiquing a person's work to their face.

At the same time, patting everyone on the back doesn't really do anything to make their work improve. Some people ask for crits, which is very important esp if you're a beginner (even pros can improve and benefit from good critiques).

The main problem I saw with critique is that anyone would do a critique, and not everyone is capable.

Maybe a thread somewhere, like, "Ask The Traveler", would work.

its a nice idea, but I think a thread like that would fill up way too fast and whilst Traveler might be very willing to crit every post, she/he might not have enough time to ever be able to keep up with such a thread.
Also, some are saying that there are those not able to give crits or those who will be bias or overly judgmental - there are alwasy going to be cases like this and this thread is not about people adding most shots to the site, but rather acting as a directory for thier shots that they would like crit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back