📚 Soon TPF will begin showing EXIF information on all uploaded/attachment images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekool

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We are going to install a modification that will display EXIF information on uploaded images. You can see a thread where I posted about it and some discussion here: Do you think displaying EXIF data would be handy on the forum?

I'm making this announcement so that you will have time to start stripping EXIF information if you wish. Keep in mind, if you haven't been doing this, the EXIF information was always there for anyone to get, it just wasn't displayed automatically.

You will not be able to disable this function, so please start stripping your photos now. It will not display on past photos, only future photos. I'll install the modification most likely Tuesday or so. Just a friendly heads up for the community!

Thank you in advance.

Just a little autocratic, methinks. Reviewing future participation. Please detail why this became a pressing concern/necessity. Not happy!

PS. I'm done pending some explanation.

Just a little autocratic, methinks. Reviewing future participation. Please detail why this became a pressing concern/necessity. Not happy!

PS. I'm done pending some explanation.

What part of it do you not like? We are going to display information that is already there, that people can see now if they examine the image. We are simply making it easier by displaying the information automatically. This information is helpful to save lots of questions and time when someone wants to assist.... which is, after all, what this community is about.

What part of it do you not like? We are going to display information that is already there, that people can see now if they examine the image. We are simply making it easier by displaying the information automatically. This information is helpful to save lots of questions and time when someone wants to assist.... which is, after all, what this community is about.
Never had any such requests since 2013...What's really up here? Don't recall any fevered demands.

Never had any such requests since 2013...What's really up here? Don't recall any fevered demands.

Well, if you read the thread that I linked to in my post, you'll see that I requested feedback on the option and that it seems like the majority of the people thought it would be a handy feature.

I can't think of a reason NOT to do it but I can think of a lot of reasons it would be handy.

In addition, it is a requested feature on the site, quite often... if you search you will see it comes up quite a bit... for example:

So, I don't feel very 'autocratic' about it. We always do things to make the community better and to better assist our members. This feels like a handy addition that will benefit our users.

I'm open to hearing any potential downsides though?

Adios, TPF.

I notice you couldn't provide me with a single good reason why this feature would be detrimental.

Let me know if you'd like a full refund and I'll get it to you.

Transparency is always very valuable. I think the more information anyone can receive about something they're interested in, the better off they are.

That's why I've always added it with my images. For the people who would like to know, well it's there for them. For those who couldn't give a rat's a$$, then they will disregard it. I see putting it down basically as being courteous, it takes little effort so why not... 🙂

Last edited:
As noted on the other thread. I have no opinion either way as I've had options for viewing the information (if available) anyhow. I also consider the experience level of the photographer, glancing at the EXIF helps when answering certain questions by beginners, not so much on advanced members as their choices are part of the whole creative process. As long as it isn't providing location information I see no problem.

Ok I can see the benefit of having the data
Down side for me it’s another section of work to removed the data.
Thank you for the warning, I think I will change the personal data that the camera stores so I don’t have to remove data off each image.
When doing cc the info will be of a help.
Just looked at the other thread, I will remove the location data, the owner and copyright name on camera.
Otherwise no probs

I think it is just about as foolish to leave a forum for displaying exif as it is to think that displaying it can really be helpful in any real way, unless you have the same lens, same camera, same settings and you're standing in the same spot at the same time in exactly the same light. Before you worry about what settings someone else used, learn to use a meter correctly.

Ok I can see the benefit of having the data
Down side for me it’s another section of work to removed the data.
Thank you for the warning, I think I will change the personal data that the camera stores so I don’t have to remove data off each image.
When doing cc the info will be of a help.
Just looked at the other thread, I will remove the location data, the owner and copyright name on camera.
Otherwise no probs
We will not be displaying the personal data, such as location, owner, etc... only the fields highlighted in my post. Camera type, brand, lense, shutter, etc... although if you've not been removing that information in the past, it has always been there for anyone to see if they wanted to. Anyone can download the image and view the EXIF data or even use a browser plugin.

Ahh ok thanks I won’t worry about it then.

Most photography forums show EXIF data for the photos. It is routine. I never thought anybody would get emotional about it.

There are free utilities out there that will remove some or all EXIF data from your photos. It can be automatically applied for every JPG exported by Lightroom Classic. I use one of these apps, not for privacy issues, but because there is a lot of bloat in a JPG image. Nothing of value is lost by removing the surplus stuff. Camera settings are retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back