ShaCow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
shacow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there,
I have just managed to get myself a copy of 3ds max 9 very cheaply from a friend and while trying to think of things to use it for I come across an idea.

I have only ever used cinema 4d before, and a little of blender.

I want to import some of my pictures into 3ds max, and create a model based on that photo.

so for example.

I have a photo of an apple, and i import it, and then model and apple, and then apply parts of the photo i took to the model (skinning/rendering etc) to make the model look like a realistic apple from my photograph.

if there are any 3ds max gurus out there that could possible help me with this, or point me in some kind of direction that would be great :D

Ive tried googleing and can only seem to find info on how to import models into a photograph and make them look like they are part of the photo.

thank you! Shaun

I used to have a copy of 3DS Max that i got "cheaply from a friend" as well. I got disgusted with trying to figure it out and gave up on it.

I would try a 3D graphics forum.

It's a really common issue - people "getting" Photoshop or 3DS Max or whatever then not knowing how to use it.

It used to be that the price kept the people who had no need for such a professional product away. Not anymore though.

It's a really common issue - people "getting" Photoshop or 3DS Max or whatever then not knowing how to use it.

It used to be that the price kept the people who had no need for such a professional product away. Not anymore though.
Have you ever thought of learning a product? There is nothing to loose by trying to learn something. And if I dont try with photoshop, or 3ds max, how am i ever going to learn?

I'm usually all for figuring out how to use software without help. However, 3-D modeling software is so incredibly complex that I gave up and ended up buying the Foundations of Maya 2008 (since I have that software) and it's an incredibly good resource. The same company makes 3DS and I'm pretty sure they have a similar book out there for it.

Have you ever thought of learning a product? There is nothing to loose by trying to learn something. And if I dont try with photoshop, or 3ds max, how am i ever going to learn?
Reg is talking about someone "getting" the software by other means rather than ordering, giving some form of monetary item, and receiving the product.

Though with all the people out there on internet forums that bark about piracy, I hardly doubt these same people have never downloaded a song, or copied a song from someone else.

The funniest one that I've had experience with is my gaming forum. They jump all over someone who is stupid enough to ask for a crack to the game on the official forum, or someone who posts screenshots of licensed content with their demo account. Yet these same people, usually quite young, are posting 3D renders using a $4000 program. I highly doubt that these 18 year olds have all shelled out for that $4000 program when they all are mostly college students (for something other than graphical and 3D design) without jobs.

Though with all the people out there on internet forums that bark about piracy, I hardly doubt these same people have never downloaded a song, or copied a song from someone else.

I sure wouldn't openly admit it in my post, as the OP did, since the IP addresses are logged here...

I have used 3DS before, but am much more proficient with Rhino. 3DS is an extremely complex program, and pretty hard to learn (thats why most places use rhino). I believe that th3e only way to do what you want is to place orthographic views of the apple in each viewport, then model it from there. It wont be easy, but it is doable. I personally would just use Rhino, get an approximate shape, then pull the NURBs around until I had it organic looking. The image wrapping is going to be intersting though, as I dont know how the program will interpret the projection on the opject. I would just render it in vray or maxwel, as they would get close to what you want.

Most reactions

Back