Does ISO affect Dynamic Range?

ismael

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

Isolating the topic of Dynamic Range: is it affected by ISO sensitivity?
In other words: If a sensor has a DR of say 8 stops, would that be across the entire ISO range?
How about in film? Let say Kodak Gold 100 and 400: Would the DR be totally unrelated to speed?

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure that you lose DR ans the ISO gets higher. I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure, nor do I know to what degree you lose DR.

Interesting question.
As far as I know, ISO does not affect the dynamic range with digital.

What ISO does affect is noise levels...and another thing that affects noise is exposure, so I'm thinking that the two could be related. For example, you might get a nice dynamic range and a clean shot at ISO 100, but at ISO 3200, you might have the same exposure range, but now the shadow areas are too noisy.

Yes, an interesting question.

Have to add that to my list of things to research but off the top of my head I'd say no, it's a function of the image sensor.

Trouble is, performance at high ISO has a lot to do with the quality and performance of the amplifiers.

I would say definitely yes.

As you increase the ISO the noise level increases.

This must swamp the most subtle differences in level particulary in the deep shadows.

Thus the dynamic range is reduced.

I believe I read somewhere recently that ISO does indeed affect dynamic range. If I can locate the source, I will post it here.

Raising ISO *does* make you loose dynamic range. Thom Hogan in his book discussed this in detail.

Going from ISO 200 to 1600 gives you a loss of 1.5-2 stops of dynamic range on the D700. It is closer to 3.5 stops on a D200. Other cameras will give you the same or greater range losses.

This is one of those questions where if you take 5 minutes and try it out yourself, it becomes evident. Take a low light shot at ISO 100 and a longer shutter speed. take the same shot at higher ISO and faster shutter speed. Note the obvious differences in the shadow details.

This is using a RAW file, becuase it has the most dynamic range of any digital format.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses!
Jerry, I DID try it. That's why I was asking. :er:

Thanks,

One more thing to remember is that if you use a 'boosted' ISO, usually one that is listed as High/High 1/2, or whatever, you're going to be losing quite a bit of DR because it's actually pushing the image by a stop or two to get it to that ISO rating.

This is using a RAW file, becuase it has the most dynamic range of any digital format.

*cough* Except for Adobe's Radiance format *coughcough* ;)

*cough* my D700 doesn't make Adobe's Radiance format files and you cannot add detail or dynamic range to a file once it is created *cough* :lol: :lol:

I believe my link solved the debate.

Most reactions

Back