Does it worry you that Flickr is owned by Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by RebelTasha, May 20, 2008.

1. RebelTasha

RebelTasha TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I mean that is a lot of time and effort to upload, make sets, contacts.. etc etc.. and money for a pro account..
    What is happening in the world of Yahoo right now? Are they stable?

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont know. It was kinda of a pain to make a yahoo account then flickr account, i much rather would have rather not done that.

3. EricBrian

EricBrian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It does worry me because I wonder what will happen to it should Microsoft take over all or parts of Yahoo.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I thought that deal was off now (either Yahoo decided to to be bought or Yahoo decied not to sell - one or the other)

5. EricBrian

EricBrian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They are in talks again.

6. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

You could also apply that money toward a proper backup system/strategy of your own which would make you immune to either (or any) web company's antics, roller coaster rides, or misfortune.
    And use a FREE hosting service like weebly.com to display your images to the world.

Imo the choice is between being dependent and being independent. Between charting your own course, or letting 'them' take you by the hand to where they want you to go. To relieve you of your dollars.

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Translation _ Microsoft are going to throw even more money at Flickr

personally I think that Microsoft would be under pressure not to "ruin" flickr considering that many (if not the majority) of professional photographers are using the site for uploading and are paying for the service - so there is pressure there for Microsoft to play safe.
    Personally I think that they are just trying to get Googles market to try and stem the free stuff that google gives away by offering thier own products (with small fees ;))

8. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tend to think of flickr as just a place to play... So, I'm not too invested in whatever happens to it. :eek:)

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a fast moving digital world. If microsoft changes the terms of service, jump ship. It's not like you owe them anything, and it's not like $25 is a very large investment.

Can't take longer than a weekend to re-upload your images elsewhere.

10. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I already had a yahoo account and it only took me about a minute to setup the Flicker account, so no big deal there. I only set up the account so I could have a place for people to look at my stuff when I wanted that. Personally, I don't trust any internet site enough to store anything valuable there.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, they are not creative enough to design new applications for themselves so they look for the best applications others have developed and buy them. It is not their practice to degrade the applications they acquire. They are more likely to put money in it.

11. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    true that $25 is not much - but add up all the members of Flickr who pay and I bet its a nice big number - chances are that if the boat is shaken someone will start raising the banners and trying for a class action (think that is the right terminology).

Still you are right that they could all jumpship to photobuck or imageshack - but its not just photouploading - its blogs and websites that suddenly all breaks and need to be changed to work as well

12. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you currently have a "Pro" account with flickr.com, and Microsoft (whoever) buys Yahoo/flickr, I think your original contract with flickr will still apply.

There may be some loophole, but I bet the result will still be someone owes you a photo site of some kind.