Does it worry you that Flickr is owned by Yahoo?

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I mean that is a lot of time and effort to upload, make sets, contacts.. etc etc.. and money for a pro account..
What is happening in the world of Yahoo right now? Are they stable?

I dont know. It was kinda of a pain to make a yahoo account then flickr account, i much rather would have rather not done that.

It does worry me because I wonder what will happen to it should Microsoft take over all or parts of Yahoo.

I thought that deal was off now (either Yahoo decided to to be bought or Yahoo decied not to sell - one or the other)

I mean that is a lot of time and effort to upload, make sets, contacts.. etc etc.. and money for a pro account..
What is happening in the world of Yahoo right now? Are they stable?

You could also apply that money toward a proper backup system/strategy of your own which would make you immune to either (or any) web company's antics, roller coaster rides, or misfortune.
And use a FREE hosting service like weebly.com to display your images to the world.

Imo the choice is between being dependent and being independent. Between charting your own course, or letting 'them' take you by the hand to where they want you to go. To relieve you of your dollars.

They are in talks again.
Translation _ Microsoft are going to throw even more money at Flickr

personally I think that Microsoft would be under pressure not to "ruin" flickr considering that many (if not the majority) of professional photographers are using the site for uploading and are paying for the service - so there is pressure there for Microsoft to play safe.
Personally I think that they are just trying to get Googles market to try and stem the free stuff that google gives away by offering thier own products (with small fees ;))

I tend to think of flickr as just a place to play... So, I'm not too invested in whatever happens to it. :eek:)

It's a fast moving digital world. If microsoft changes the terms of service, jump ship. It's not like you owe them anything, and it's not like $25 is a very large investment.

Can't take longer than a weekend to re-upload your images elsewhere.

I already had a yahoo account and it only took me about a minute to setup the Flicker account, so no big deal there. I only set up the account so I could have a place for people to look at my stuff when I wanted that. Personally, I don't trust any internet site enough to store anything valuable there.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, they are not creative enough to design new applications for themselves so they look for the best applications others have developed and buy them. It is not their practice to degrade the applications they acquire. They are more likely to put money in it.

true that $25 is not much - but add up all the members of Flickr who pay and I bet its a nice big number - chances are that if the boat is shaken someone will start raising the banners and trying for a class action (think that is the right terminology).

Still you are right that they could all jumpship to photobuck or imageshack - but its not just photouploading - its blogs and websites that suddenly all breaks and need to be changed to work as well

If you currently have a "Pro" account with flickr.com, and Microsoft (whoever) buys Yahoo/flickr, I think your original contract with flickr will still apply.

There may be some loophole, but I bet the result will still be someone owes you a photo site of some kind.

If you currently have a "Pro" account with flickr.com, and Microsoft (whoever) buys Yahoo/flickr, I think your original contract with flickr will still apply.

There may be some loophole, but I bet the result will still be someone owes you a photo site of some kind.

Unfortunately, theres not much of a "contract" in place. Closest thing too it would be the TOS, if you took a moment to skim through it, you would notice.

1. MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE
    Yahoo! reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that Yahoo! shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
In other words, they can do whatever they want and owe nothing to anybody, and if they can't they can modify the "contract" so they can.

1. MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE
    Yahoo! reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that Yahoo! shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.

PWNED!!!

Closing date for flickr is June 15 as far as I know.

Most reactions

Back