Does Pentax have future in DSLR?

Sash[DSL said:
]I mean this:
Why would you need this applied within the camera when you can apply it to all images using image array editing capabilites?
Sorry, I missed that.

With digital you get a small dynamic range and highlights tend to get blown out. Nikon chose to go on the conservative side and underexpose by .7 stops. Instead of compensating and losing higlight detail it's better to apply a custom curve that brings up the midtones without blowing out the highlights. With RAW this doesn't matter because you have to process the photo anyway. But if you want to shoot a bunch of snapshot JPG's it's much easier to have the images exposed well right out of the camera.

*istD vs. Drebel:

*istD
-AA batteries (if you want)
-brighter viewfinder
-better support for older manual focus lenses
-less menu manipulation to activate the most used features
-better ergonomics

Drebel
-better manufacturer lens selection
-less expensive

Depends on what you want/need. For me the Canon menu system is like something in Klingon. Not intuitive. Then again, sometimes the simplest of things befuddle me.

The *istD does what I need it to do. Might not fit your needs. There is a new entry level dslr due from Pentax this fall, reputed to be in the $700-900 range, feature set unknown.

And did I mention that the *istD takes AA batteries? Just thought I'd mention it. ;)

voodoocat said:
With RAW this doesn't matter because you have to process the photo anyway.

I believe that's true for most cameras unless their software supports saved camera settings for RAW files. I don't know how it is on the PC but when I install Nikon's included free editing/camera transferring program called Picture Project on my Mac, it installs a plugin into Photoshop that keeps all my camera settings even when I shoot in RAW mode.

I've been told that Nikon's paid image editing program called Capture actually allows you to not only keep camera settings in RAW mode but it allows you to rollback settings you think are wrong. Picture Project's plugin doesn't allow you to rollback/change settings except for WB and exposure compensation. If you use Photoshop's RAW window then yes that's complete raw and untouched by the camera so you have to edit.

With Nikon's RAW plugin it gives me the best of both worlds in my opinion. I get the convenience of jpeg (saved camera settings) but I also get the better quality of RAW format. Also if I decided I wanted a completely untouched by the camera RAW file then I would just use Photoshop's RAW window by removing Picture Project's plugin. This all means that it's possible to do trial and error shots in RAW mode in order to get the correct exposures without blown highlights while keeping all the other benefits of shooting in RAW mode. I rarely ever shoot in jpeg. :wink:

photobug
Yes, AA battery support is great and so is intuitivity of controls and a brighter veiwfinder, but hows that supposed to worth an extra USD$550 in price???? What are your needs and why would an digital rebel not suit them?
Harpper
I can hardly understand how all of that is relevant to the discussion. Ill get up nice and early tomorrow morning and read your post over again, Itll propably clear up. :|

voodoocat
No offence, but what do snapshots have to do with photography? :|

Personally, the extra $550 was made up for in my set of lenses. When it all came down to it, thats why I went with a *istD

Also, here's a *biased list of things the *istD has that the Rebel Doesn't

*by biased i mean i didin't look for things the rebel can, but istD cant

Actually, after looknig at the info on the rebel, I couldn't honestly find anything that I use on a day to day basis that both didn't seem to offer. I'm pretty sure the istD has a lot more customizable functions, but a lot of them aren't too major. All in all, I'd say that the rebel would satisfy my needs, but the istD does a good job also.

Sash[DSL said:
]
Harpper
I can hardly understand how all of that is relevant to the discussion. Ill get up nice and early tomorrow morning and read your post over again, Itll propably clear up. :|
Sorry I went off topic but my post is semi-relavent. I don't know if Pentax's software allows you to keep camera settings when shooting in RAW mode but it's really useful if you want to reduce your post editing time. With completely raw files you have to edit or your pictures will look dull and flat. When you shoot in jpeg mode all your camera settings are saved and are added to your pictures. Things like more contrast, how much color, etc are added but in true RAW mode non of that is added.

photobug
Yes, AA battery support is great and so is intuitivity of controls and a brighter veiwfinder, but hows that supposed to worth an extra USD$550 in price???? What are your needs and why would an digital rebel not suit them?

I need a camera that I don't have to fight with to take pics with (intuitive controls). I need a camera I can actually see the subject through with my tired old eyes ( brighter viewfinder). I need a camera that won't let me down because I dropped the battery and cracked it 2 hours into a 4 day hike, or I left the charger at home (AA battery support).

And to reiterate...
The *istD does what I need it to do. Might not fit your needs. There is a new entry level dslr due from Pentax this fall, reputed to be in the $700-900 range, feature set unknown.
For the reasons stated above it was worth $550 (even though I didn't pay that much for mine) to get the Pentax. YMMV :)

Most reactions

Back