does this BW/color concept work? C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by doziergraphic, Jul 24, 2010.

1. doziergraphic

doziergraphic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not sure if this concept works -

Canon REBEL; kit lens; f/11; 1/80sec; ISO 200; 55mm

[​IMG]

2. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe if it wasn't crooked and there wasn't a big traffic pole blocking your subject.

3. bkristopher

bkristopher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are varying opinions whether selective coloring works. I think most want it to serve a purpose, perhaps tell a story. That being said, I don't really have an opinion on it as a concept, but I think your coloring may too red. Maybe adjust the color balance??

4. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photo doesn't work at all. The selective coloring draws my eye, but I'm not sure why I ought to be looking at that sign as the subject, or what it is trying to say.

My advice is to practice shooting a good street scene -- or basically just making a good photograph -- before messing with selective coloring or any other processing gimmick.

5. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A friend of mine tells me there are 2 main rules he uses when taking pictures. 1 is the rule of thirds and number 2 is the picture tells a story. He says that if the picture makes no sense then it is not a good picture. I have to say that some random sighn in a random picture makes no sense to me.

6. barleymalt

barleymalt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The subject draws my eyes out from the image. I think it'd be cooler if you'd chosen something more eye level and further away to suck the viewer in. But this works for what it is.

I would of tried to emphasize the words Rush Street more and maybe make the street seem busy as hell. Just a thought..

Is that original color or did you color it? I like how warm the color seems in contrast.

7. doziergraphic

doziergraphic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. About what I figured the feedback would be. Sometimes (as a newby) hard to tell if you're being overly critical of yourself or if you're being creative. Helps to get confirmation of the obvious sometimes!