Does this mean

Are we at the point just give them away for free yet or do i get a dollar just for it being film? Didnt develop myself maybe that worth a extra $2 i dunno

I had to laugh out loud at THIS part of the article: "The reality is that there are thousands of more photographs available today than there ever has been. In many cases, this has brought the value of photography down."

Thousands more? LOL! Ummmm....yeah...a little bit more than "thousands of more". Love the oddball grammar, but also the idea of thousands more photos. Hmmmm...lemme see...right now I have a fairly cleaned off hard drive...this little personal computer has 39,400 pics in just iPhone and Android snaps on it.

The reality is that there are thousands of more photographs available today than there ever has been. In many cases, this has brought the value of photography down. Many pros are not getting the same rates that they did in the days of film and many have had to make adjustments to their pricing structures and strategies to stay competitive.

I think it has more to do with the level of art education in the general public. People might be willing to pay money for a photograph is they could see that it is actually worth something, but compared to what?

What once was considered a work of art painstakingly created by a skilled craftsman is now seen as something they can make with their eye-phone. Not seeing the difference has driven down the market.

So yes, charge more for film.

I should price film photos higher than digital?

I price my work according to how I print and show my work (all my work is from film).

I sell simple quick straight slight to no edit mini-lab 8x10/8x12 prints (mostly color) mounted on a 11x14 matt board for $25 a piece. If I spend hours in the darkroom perfecting a print by hand (black-n-white), matt/frame said print then the price can be anywhere from $500 to $800 (and up) depending on size.

I should price film photos higher than digital?

I price my work according to how I print and show my work (all my work is from film).

I sell simple quick straight slight to no edit mini-lab 8x10/8x12 prints (mostly color) mounted on a 11x14 matt board for $25 a piece. If I spend hours in the darkroom perfecting a print by hand (black-n-white), matt/frame said print then the price can be anywhere from $500 to $800 (and up) depending on size.
do you sign them?

do you sign them?

Oh yes, for sure sign them and have a copyright symbol as well. And on the back I attach a business card ($25 prints) and on the larger hand crafted I attach to the back a bio with the business card.

This is the reason I withdrew from pro-photography, when I was using film and did all my own darkroom and colour print/mono work it was like printing money, then came digital and in my area the customers appeared to think digital was for free and there was always a new weekend warrior to step in for a few dollars fee to cover a wedding etc, it just wasn't worth my effort or my money to buy and pay for expensive up-to-date equipment or sit at the workstation perfecting the end result. I did think about returning to film only but realised I'd had enough of being a pro-pho and called it a day.

Pricing your work has to take into account your time, your equipment and the local clientele, like every other business price too high you get no work regardless how good the photography and the reason for that is when a client buys a 'picture' especially one of a person or themselves all they see is another snap of that person, something any fool with a camera phone could have given them for free and that is what has devalued photography.

Do you sell the same image in wet print and inkjet? Or would you? Just curious. Thanks

Sometimes, 99% of my BW is wet and 100% of color is inkjet. Every once in awhile I'll print a BW neg on inkjet for the $25 prints.

I seperated them . on film i had someone write film. On digital it says digital edit. Transparency . years taken as well.

Most reactions

Back