Does use of step up ring and filter diminish

oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Using a 52mm to 67mm step up ring. Want to use 67mm CPL on 52mm lens.
Will this diminish the photo quality. Could use any opinions. Thanks. Ed

The biggest potential issue could be, might be, the loss of the ability to use the normal lens shade for the lens...since many times we're using a polarizing filter when the sun's out. But otherwise, it's peanut butter & jelly normally, and peanut butter & jam with the step ring...

The biggest potential issue could be, might be, the loss of the ability to use the normal lens shade for the lens...since many times we're using a polarizing filter when the sun's out. But otherwise, it's peanut butter & jelly normally, and peanut butter & jam with the step ring...
Good point. Forgot about that little detail.

All true, however unless you live with a CPL on your lenses, it is only a temporary inconvenience that can easily be dealt with.

And if it's a bayonet fitting on the lens hood it's even more awkward to use with a CPL.
Five minutes with a Dremel or similar tool takes care of that. Just cut a finger-tip size notch in the BOTTOM of the shade, and hey, Presto! A lens hood which allows full CPOL control!

Using a 52mm to 67mm step up ring. Want to use 67mm CPL on 52mm lens.
Will this diminish the photo quality. Could use any opinions. Thanks. Ed

It's not a problem.

Darrel makes a good point about the hood no longer fitting -- although if you use slide-in filters (e.g. Lee, Singh-Ray, Cokin, etc.) then you'd have the same issue and the work-around is to manually shade the filters when shooting. I do have a step-up-ring for those situations where I use my filters with a smaller diameter lens and a $10 step-up-ring is certainly a lot less expensive than buying a quality CPL in a different diameter.

And if it's a bayonet fitting on the lens hood it's even more awkward to use with a CPL.
Five minutes with a Dremel or similar tool takes care of that. Just cut a finger-tip size notch in the BOTTOM of the shade, and hey, Presto! A lens hood which allows full CPOL control!
About half my hoods have that hole already. With a clip in cover for when you don't want it.

About half my hoods have that hole already. With a clip in cover for when you don't want it.
As in, from the factory? Can you post a picture or two?

As in, from the factory? Can you post a picture or two?

It's a standard feature of the hoods on many Pentax lenses.
There are better shots on-line than I'd be able to sort out quickly see:

http://robertsdonovan.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc_6688.jpg
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/182/333/243/1271838604561_hz_myalibaba_web17_1977.jpg
http://www.wexphotographic.com/webcontent/product_images/large/187/1539776.jpg
Very neat!! Pentax always did have the cool s**t!

Most reactions

Back