Doing first amateur photo shoot. . . need advice

Xander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing my first photo shoot with a family. I'd like to get into more portraits, but I'm still in the beginner phase. The family (kids) know that I'm just doing this to 'test the waters'.

I plan on going to a park. There is a play ground, mature trees, a pond, and other good areas. I've told the kids to wear 'fall, solid colors'.

Can anybody give me some tips of poses or even pictures? Is any advice that you could give me?

Thanks,
Xander

Only bit of advice is 'do some research'. Do a google on 'kid's photography' for example and look at the work of photogs that do the kind of work you want to do. Take note of the photos you like and study how the subject was placed, how the background affects the image, the kind of lighting that was used and what sort of post process might have been used. This will give you some idea of what you might try and then just go out and try and get the same look. Eventually you'll get a sense of what works for you.

Pat

Just remember to have fun. If you're relaxed, the kids will be relaxed. I don't like the 'posey' stuff, and usually, kids don't either (their attention span is usually nil). So I'll throw on a zoom lens and just follow them around. It's amazing some of the great candid shots you can capture, and it also allows you to capture the childs personality. Also, it sounds like you're doing an outdoor shoot? I'd definately invest in a light reflector, the 5 in one, if you don't already have one. A great site I found was prophotolife.com he has instructional videos, and one of them is about outdoor lighting, and he uses reflectors. You know, even youtube has some great videos on photography. Just type in child/kid photography and see what you come up with. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your shoot, and with the rest of your endevours in portrait photography!! :) Let us all know how it goes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back