Dom Bower's D600 Love Rant

Post amazing images taken by said camera. That will just end the conversation. :D I use my D800 for weddings when people say it's a horrible camera for weddings. Oh well, that's their opinion as long as my clients are happy. I'm not going to waste time trying to get people to agree with me. To each their own, and here are the photos from the horrible wedding camera. The end! LOL
I thought people only used d800s for paperweights now-a-days .. LOL
:bouncingsmileys:

:cokespit:

I think the D800 is what Trey Ratcliff uses for a paperweight these days since he switched to Sony A7. lol

This is his first sentence transcribed:

Hi everyonein this videojust, uhhh, uh da uhh, a glowing, ummm, a glowing report, a glowing happy, happiness report of, the Nicon D600.

:p

Glad he likes it. It's a decent camera with a decent AF module and a great sensor.

This is his first sentence transcribed:

Hi everyonein this videojust, uhhh, uh da uhh, a glowing, ummm, a glowing report, a glowing happy, happiness report of, the Nicon D600.

:p

Glad he likes it. It's a decent camera with a decent AF module and a great sensor.
he was on the Happiness Drug

The D600 was a lemon. They pulled it off the market only after complaints metastasized into law suits and half-measures short of complete D610 shutter swaps and D610 replacements did nothing to calm buyers. Nikon got it--finally. Maybe Takata engineers were contracted to develop the D600?

They must be among the dozen or so D600 owners I know who had recurrent problems. Friends at Vistek and Henry's in TO saw way more than that. Perhaps you can share the source for your Nikon.ca numbers? Otherwise...

nerwin said:
He had the camera for quite some time now I believe. I following Dom for years on YouTube, he makes some decent videos..in my opinion of course :)

I'm sooo glad they cut out the part where he spewed all over himself after loving on his new D600...

They must be among the dozen or so D600 owners I know who had recurrent problems. Friends at Vistek and Henry's in TO saw way more than that. Perhaps you can share the source for your Nikon.ca numbers? Otherwise...
Sales rep at Lozeau in Montreal. The reason I trust this is that the D610 was already out for a while by then, so he had no incentive to play this down. Also, a distinction has to be made by problems caused by faulty shutter, and dust appearing on the sensor under regular use, which is something that happens to all cameras.

The other sweet aspect about the D600 was the self-shredding shutter design...that was pretty cool! NOT! As far as "three" people in Canada with D600's with issues...seriously? That is obviously salesman-talk...the damned thing was the subject of multiple class action lawsuits world-wide. The thing FLUNG OIL. PERIOD.The shutters shredded themselves and left detrius! The shutter design was borrowed from the D7000...it had "issues"...the D600 was one of the very shortest-life SLR or d-slr models Nikon has ever made, in a little over 50 years...the Nikon shutter replacement resolution is a fantastic way for them, to own up to their miscreant child's behaviors, and the shutter replacement solution/free D610 upgrade options each and either/or makes a used D600 seem like a pretty good deal to me, as long as I do not need to rely upon the body.

If a guy has a good-working D600, all the more power to him. But we gotta admit...it was a model that was plagued by problems: it was the modern-day equivalent of the Canon EOS D60, the model they made for less than a year, way back in the early 2000's. Still--given the used price of a D600, it's a great deal I think!

Last edited:
The other sweet aspect about the D600 was the self-shredding shutter design...that was pretty cool! NOT! As far as "three" people in Canada with D600's with issues...seriously? That is obviously salesman-talk...the damned thing was the subject of multiple class action lawsuits world-wide. The thing FLUNG OIL. PERIOD.The shutters shredded themselves and left detrius! The shutter design was borrowed from the D7000...it had "issues"...the D600 was one of the very shortest-life SLR or d-slr models Nikon has ever made, in a little over 50 years...the Nikon shutter replacement resolution is a fantastic way for them, to own up to their miscreant child's behaviors, and the shutter replacement solution/free D610 upgrade options each and either/or makes a used D600 seem like a pretty good deal to me, as long as I do not need to rely upon the body.

If a guy has a good-working D600, all the more power to him. But we gotta admit...it was a model that was plagued by problems: it was the modern-day equivalent of the Canon EOS D60, the model they made for less than a year, way back in the early 2000's. Still--given the used price of a D600, it's a great deal I think!

I have two!
I should probably play the lottery.

Sales rep at Lozeau in Montreal. The reason I trust this is that the D610 was already out for a while by then, so he had no incentive to play this down. Also, a distinction has to be made by problems caused by faulty shutter, and dust appearing on the sensor under regular use, which is something that happens to all cameras.

They surely aren't the only Nikon dealer in Montreal. Nikon.ca in Mississauga saw quite a few more than 3 just from the GTA. This sounds a lot like Nikon's initial apologia for the D600's ills: "a distinction has to be made by problems caused by faulty shutter, and dust appearing on the sensor under regular use, which is something that happens to all cameras." No more convincing now than it was then.

Well I don't see no point in upgrading from my D610 yet. Pretty happy where I am.

They surely aren't the only Nikon dealer in Montreal. Nikon.ca in Mississauga saw quite a few more than 3 just from the GTA. This sounds a lot like Nikon's initial apologia for the D600's ills: "a distinction has to be made by problems caused by faulty shutter, and dust appearing on the sensor under regular use, which is something that happens to all cameras." No more convincing now than it was then.

The fact that nikon will give me a brand new shutter at any time in my d600's life, or replace it with a d610, pretty much negates any "possible issues" the D600 has.
If you buy a d600 NOW, not speaking about those that bought without knowing what was going on, but right now, you are not going in blind. You are getting a full frame camera cheap because of possible issues, but knowing with absolute certainty that if you DO have sensor oil issues that it WILL be taken care of by nikon, or replaced with a D610.
I mean, seriously.....I'm not seeing any REAL risk to buying a used, low miles D600 for ~$900.
The naysayers can bleat about the issues till the cows come home, but it does not negate the fact that if you buy a D600, and IF it has oil spots, nikon WILL fix it. And if it happens again nikon WILL send you a d610. We've seen it happen here on the forum already.

So for me, it was never a matter of whether or not the D600 had oil issues.
Who cares. It gets fixed. For free.
Brand new shutter.
No, for me, it was simply a matter of whether the D600 was a good camera choice for me. I just didn't see a better option for the money. The d600's actually dropped lower than many D700s on ebay. I sold my D7100 and 35mm lens for enough to pick up a second D600. I've been quite happy with both of them.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for buying a newer D610 instead, and certainly not for picking up a D800 or D750. ...
But for someone looking for a FF nikon on a budget, there really isn't a better choice than a used D600.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back