Domain Name Sale...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really know nothing about this type of stuff:

Years ago, I had a website which was strictly for my concert photography. It was a crappy little website, but it was mine and I was happy with it. My name was not in the domain name. As I started getting into other forms of photography, though, I decided to let that one die on the vine, not renew it, and start an entirely different site. That one is now in its second iteration.

I did nothing with the original site after around 2008. I just figured that, if I didn't pay to renew it, after some period of time the name would fly back into the ether and be available to someone clever enough to think of the same name. Honestly, I'd forgotten all about it.

A few weeks back, I was contacted by someone who asked if I was the same person who owned that site. Well, after doing some research, I've discovered that, while that website is no longer active, I am the only person who can renew the domain name. For some reason, I had a credit on that old account. The hosting company was simply waiting for me to say "renew it", which I have done.

The person who contacted me about it wants to buy the domain name from me. He told me he would pay me "a premium". When I asked him what he felt was a "premium", he said he would be willing to pay me $100.00.

Now, I don't know from nothin' sometimes, but I know a guy who sold his domain name for $70,000.00. I just gotta' believe that a fair price for mine lies somewhere between that and the $100.00 I was offered.

How should I go about determining, assuming there's actually a legitimate way to do that, a fair value for the domain name?

there are sites that can somewhat determine it, like this: Value my domain name

$100 is not a premium, but it's really a subjective value.

there are sites that can somewhat determine it, like this: Value my domain name

$100 is not a premium, but it's really a subjective value.

Hmmmmm... It says it's an invalid domain name and, as a result, places a value of $0.00 on it.

Hell, maybe that hunnerd bucks is a gift!

:D

It's pretty much based on length of domain name, how it currently ranks in Google (or other search engines), whether it's a real word and such.

I would say that the value is whatever value YOU put on it, and what YOU think it's worth to give up.

Either way - I hope things turn out well and you make some good money from it :)

Hey Steve, if you have no interest in the domain, I'd grab the hundred bucks and go have yourself a really nice steak dinner.
If not, you'll soon have the hundred spent on renewal's to something you don't even want.

Hey Steve, if you have no interest in the domain, I'd grab the hundred bucks and go have yourself a really nice steak dinner.
If not, you'll soon have the hundred spent on renewal's to something you don't even want.

The domain is already renewed, and it didn't cost be a dime because of some credit on the account.

As it is right now, the guy's being a bit of a dick about everything, which is difficult for me to understand since he contacted me regarding something of mine that he wants. As a result, I've also considered just keeping it and firing it back up as an active website again...

Well, I have to admit, nothing turns me off quicker then someone with an attitude asking me for a favor

Whether anybody wants it or not, I think $100 is ridiculously cheap. If it is a really good name it will be worth lots more, IMO. Do more research.

Whether anybody wants it or not, I think $100 is ridiculously cheap. If it is a really good name it will be worth lots more, IMO. Do more research.

You know, I think it's worth more, too. The problem is that I don't really have any basis for that other than "IT'S MINE!!"

What kind of research can I do to give me a better idea? I agree with you, I think $100.00 is extremely low. I even offered to give it to him in exchange for letting me shoot for his magazine. Initially he agreed with that. Now he's backing off that, and wants to just pay be the hundred bucks.

I just don't know that I'm inclined to do that...

If one guy has asked about it in six years, it probably doesn't have much "value". What is it? "myconcertphotographysite.com"?

If one guy has asked about it in six years, it probably doesn't have much "value".

Yeah, I thought of that, too, which is why I've started to consider simply keeping it and getting it back up and running again...

I have no idea where you could get a good evaluation of the domain name, but sheesh, $100 doesn't buy much these days. Better just keep it until you get a real offer.

Wow, dude just totally imploded.

It's actually pretty funny. He thinks I should sell it to him because that's what his offer was, and because I was unaware of any other value. I asked him if he found a rare, valuable stamp, would he essentially give it away because he wasn't previously aware of any value.

He had no response to that. He actually tried to guilt me into a sale by telling me about his dog which had just died.

It's pretty pathetic.

I think I may fire it back up and make him wish he'd reconsidered...

Well, what IS the actual domain name??? State it, and people might be able to give you some actually (potentially) worthwhile comments about it.

"See, I have...well...I have a friend...and he has this, sort of problem...I can't say WHAT it is. So...waaaaddaya' think my friend oughtta' do?"

Most reactions

Back