Senior Forum Members, PLEASE HELP! In need of some advice :/

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'll try to make a long story short, but could really use some advice from some members.

A few weeks back I got in contact with a printing distributor who works with many of the small businesses in my area, which is awesome because he could potentially hook me up with many of the businesses he advertises and prints for. He does menu printing for restaurants, store sign decals and even big stuff like full car advertisement wraps for delivery services. Well after meeting him he "promised" to get my foot in the door with a new restaurant that was having it's grand opening in a few weeks, he knew they needed a photographer and would pass my info along to them.

A few weeks pass by and I hear nothing from the guy, no returned phone calls, ignored emails, all that jazz. So I assume he no longer wishes to work with me and I end up booking a prom for a former client the same weekend of the grand opening, figuring the restaurant obviously isn't interested.

Well as of this morning, I receive an email from the restaurant asking me if I am now available for their event. It's a 2 day (Saturday & Sunday) grand opening celebration weekend.

Under any other circumstances I would politely tell the restaurant that I am booked for that weekend and am sorry I cannot help, but here's the tough situation:

The prom client is based in my hometown, 3 hours south of where I live now. She is a great client and I have made a sort of "schedule" for hometown clients, where I travel once a month to hometown to set up photo shoots for my local people. My mom is still there too so even if I only book 1 or 2 sessions when I plan to come out, I still get to visit with my parents. Since moving to the Chicago area it's been tough landing gigs due to the mass amounts of competition so setting up a few photo shoots in one weekend at my hometown helps supplement my income.

But the restaurant IS in the Chicago area where I live now so I won't have to do the grueling 3 hour drive for just one session and I know the pay day for a 2 day event is going to be much greater than a 1 hour prom session. Also, because it is in my area this could potentially give me future gigs with other establishments and the families attending the event.

So here's the question: Do I tell the restaurant no and stick to my commitments, or do I cancel on my prom client and offer her a free photo shoot for the weekend after to "replicate" her prom due to a conflicting schedule?

I feel like a total ass. Just really need some input.

Ethically there's no dilemma as I see it. You keep the Prom shoot as promised. Cancelling on a teenager's big day because you can make more $ for your time locally is just wrong.

Ethically there's no dilemma as I see it. You keep the Prom shoot as promised. Cancelling on a teenager's big day because you can make more $ for your time locally is just wrong.

This I understand, but it's NOT the money that is making this a tough call, it's the fact that the weekend opening is in my area and can give my business the exposure it needs. I've been doing this for a year and have only booked a handful of shoots in the Chicago area, almost all of my business has been in my hometown 3 hours away. THAT is why it's a pickle. Not because I am being greedy.

Either way, you made a commitment to the senior. I might or might not attempt to communicate with the Senior for her feelings...sometimes just laying the cards on the table is what must be done BUT I'd make sure she knew clearly that it was entirely up to her as she did commit to you first. Customer service is going to go further than anything.

Are there any other local photographers you could network with? You could offer them the Prom job and let them take the money in full from that and that leaves you free to take the other job. It's not ideal, but it means the prom is covered and you can cover the event that might net you a long term benefit for your company.

Of course make sure anyone you hire in your place is as good or better than you - you don't want ot hire someone who messes things up (because any problem will still be 100% your fault in the eyes of the client). Strictly speaking it should be the extra shoot that you're hiring to cover because you've already got a commitment to the prom shoot.

Otherwise I would say that you should honour your contract and agreement with the prom shoot. There will always be other opportunities in the future

Either way, you made a commitment to the senior. I might or might not attempt to communicate with the Senior for her feelings...sometimes just laying the cards on the table is what must be done BUT I'd make sure she knew clearly that it was entirely up to her as she did commit to you first. Customer service is going to go further than anything.

Yes, I had planned on calling her personally and describing my dilemma. Letting her know that she is priority and it is completely her call since the restaurant has decided to a last minute booking, not her. I think this will work best. I ask her straight forward and gauge her reaction. She's a great client and I wouldn't want to lose her.

Are there any other local photographers you could network with? You could offer them the Prom job and let them take the money in full from that and that leaves you free to take the other job. It's not ideal, but it means the prom is covered and you can cover the event that might net you a long term benefit for your company.

Of course make sure anyone you hire in your place is as good or better than you - you don't want ot hire someone who messes things up (because any problem will still be 100% your fault in the eyes of the client). Strictly speaking it should be the extra shoot that you're hiring to cover because you've already got a commitment to the prom shoot.

Otherwise I would say that you should honour your contract and agreement with the prom shoot. There will always be other opportunities in the future

I hadn't thought of this, it's a great idea, but unfortunately there aren't many photographers in my hometown area and the only decent ones that I feel would be on par with my work cost twice as much as I do.

Dang that sucks. Obviously the Chicago shoot is where you want/need to be. I agree about trying to find another photog to cover (if this is okayed by client). Good luck.

When it gets on MY CALENDER that session has total priority. What we have learned in 25-years as portrait and event photographers is to have priorities for WHERE we place sessions on our calender.

We rarely place portrait sessions on Saturdays--that's reserved for events like weddings, business grand openings, cultural events--there are FIVE OTHER DAYS OF THE WEEK for portrait sessions.

Besides most of the good outdoor locations are WAY to full of people and weekend warriors (part time "professional" photographers) to make the experience enjoyable for our clients.

In addition we have found over the years that most small businesses that we did photography for and networked with were a waste of time. They had NO MONEY for photography and forgot about us as soon as we delivered the product.

If it always paid to do the right thing, we would always do the right thing. Sometimes it costs you money, opportunity, etc. That is why we applaud people who do the right thing - it sometimes involves making a sacrifice.

In addition we have found over the years that most small businesses that we did photography for and networked with were a waste of time. They had NO MONEY for photography and forgot about us as soon as we delivered the product.
QFT.

The rest of Jerry's post is also fundamental retail photography business planning stuff.

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm not a business person, so take my observation as you will.

It seems that your business is actually based in your home town right now. You say that most of your business is done there, and that you're dealing with a great client that you'd don't want to lose. On the other hand you have a new client that you hope leads to something better down the road.

You need to decide if it is worth risking your sure thing for a potential gain in the future. If you're willing to totally commit to the Chicago area, then do it, but if you need to rely on your income from your hometown, it probably isn't the right time to start upsetting your clients there.

You've already made the commitment; I don't think it says to a client that he/she is a priority when you cancel to take another job (and what's in the contract?). Seems like you need to get a handle on the scheduling if you're going to take on jobs in two different cities/towns to allow for traveling so you aren't cancelling on clients.

Does the restaurant need you to be there the full two days? I'd find out what the time frame is for their event and let them know you already have something scheduled but it's not a commitment for the entire weekend, then get back to them if you can work it out (to go back and forth and cover both).

Wow, sorry but there isn't a question in my mind at all. In the world I was raised in many years ago your word is your life. You make a commitment you keep it. End of story. If you don't you can damn well count on a real big decline in business.

Your word is your most valuable asset. Lose that and you will have nothing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back