Done with Adobe

LR 2-5 is about to be discontinued on my Mac and PC. It is too cumbersome and I HATE the CLOUD!

Not looking for open source. If there is a "kind" soul with "experience" outside of Adobe I would appreciate some advice- Thank You in advance

I quoted myself in hopes of clarity. I have used LR since 2010 and to be honest 3/4 of it's features are not used. I have yet to utilize proper cataloging. My LR files (Photos) would be deemed a nightmare by all who have posted. However, it has helped me for years after Aperture ran out. Now that there is a monthly fee I feel like I would be subscribing to a service I would not use...I was hoping to start with a different program with a smaller learning curve. (I have CS5 as well, never used it, too complicated) I have found the A7 a much better fit for my needs and often I need little touch ups other than cropping, etc. I shoot concerts, mostly jazz...

I am re reading the replies as all are well written and have merit.
Many alternatives were mentioned which I will check out.

Thank You Very Much

The thread has been derailed by arrogance.

There is no going back. Just sit back and enjoy the mud slinging.

LR is available for purchase here, just go to the Very Bottom Right (yes, the VERY BOTTOM RIGHT side of the page) ==> Digital photography software | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

I also do not like the CC renting thing.
I've owned LR v4 for years without issue but will be upgrading soon as my newest camera isn't supported by LR v4.
^ Just buy Lr6. I'm personally surprised that someone is still using Lr2 as it doesn't support any of the past say.....three generations of cameras. Beyond that however, Lr6 is still available for purchase as Adobe has said that Lr would remain available as standalone software.

As far as the cloud goes. I personally haven't bought into it. It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't now. I'll likely run CS6 and Lr6 for at least another 2, maybe 4 years. By which time I will have saved between $240 and $480 over CC, assuming they don't raise the price of CC in the meantime. I recently purchased two new cameras that are both supported so it will be awhile before I need something new.

Problems neatly solved...Lightroom is dead-easy to use compared against Photoshop. It's stable, and simple, and great for the person who just ants to get his or her images adjusted for exposure, leveled up, cropped, and presentable--FAST. Just buy a copy of it. The biggest ;ever Adobe uses is the way they refuse to update their products to handle newer-generation camera raw image files...so...the solution is to use a separate raw converter, or Adobe's DNG converter, or whatever, to create universally-readable raw files that are relatively small in size.

c31cce7b1e9ece458b7e04b2c5c6d83f.jpg

I'm going to suggest that the admins of this site implement a new statistic to be displayed underneath their avatar.
That would be the ratio of numbers of words written to actual images posted for critique in the last year.
The problem I see would be dividing by zero, although an error message 'BS' could just pop up.
What does that have to do with the subject of this thread in particular, or any of the posters or messages in it, or anything else at all, for that matter?

Please explain in detail, so that we can really get going with the kinds of responses that you're obviously trolling for - again. Either grow a pair and just come out with it, or stop trolling with those sorts of posts.

What this site has a lot of is bullcrap opinions. Four pages and 43 posts because some doesn't want to spend $10 a month on tools that make his art or his hobby more fun and probably better.
Why?
People who are happy to bloviate at length on any damn thing in order to show how knowledgeable they are.
We have members who seem to specialize in words without pictures, in knowledge clipped from the Internet.
I look back at people's list of threads they've started, no pictures.
Lots of comments, lots of bull, lots of telling people what is the real way to do things, but no pictures.
With some few exceptions, there is no-one here whose work I admire or from whom I get inspiration.

So what is there either to attract new mid-level people or to serve as an example or an inspiration?

I've been a member here for a long time and the situation only gets worse.
There is no way to count this but I'm pretty certain that done more c/c, edited more of other people's images and posted more of my own than anyone active now and it's damn hard to think of any reason why I should keep that up.
Maybe you should start your own thread about it somewhere, rather than hijack someone else's thread? Just a thought...

Meanwhile, stick a gold star on your forehead for being so awesome in spite of those of us who are failing so horribly to meet with your standards and expectations for allowable discussion, number of words used, number of photos posted, their ratio, and so forth. You obviously deserve nothing less. And remember, if you ever need a waaa ambulance, just say so, and someone will no doubt be glad to help you with that. :)

The thread has been derailed by arrogance.

There is no going back. Just sit back and enjoy the mud slinging.

I apologize if I came across as arrogant. Some posts I could not reply to intelligently thus I thought I should clarify.

lol. not you!!!!! HAHA. Just about everyone else, maybe. But not you :)

If I ever found a forum on any subject, where this doesn't happen once in a while, I'll know I've passed and am living in the after life. Wanna really start some s#%t? Go to a Harley forum and ask, "what's the best kind of oil to use in my bike." Wanna start a blood bath? It'll be so deep you can swim in it. :345: P.S., this post intentionally has absolutely nothing to do with this debate.
J.

I read exciting news yesterday in Moderators Monthly which states that they expect a working forum extension will be released as early as Q2 2016 which will enable moderators to utilize the latest in shock therapy for training; allowing us to deliver a finger jolting shock through a standard keyboard (cable or wireless).

Until that time work on the THUNDER DOME continues.

And until those two projects are ready I've got access to the newest "Family Gathering Enforcement" extension which works very nicely at booting people off-site for a period of hours to days for time with the family.

In other news people - CALM DOWN - if someone doesn't want to use a bit of software or equipment please do feel free to debate the topic in general and present sound reasoned arguments; but leave the mud slinging and the whole "I'm better than you" because of "insert random reason" at the door. At least show your fellow members some respect in helping them with their endeavours if you choose to come into a thread and choose to reply to that thread.

If I ever found a forum on any subject, where this doesn't happen once in a while, I'll know I've passed and am living in the after life. Wanna really start some s#%t? Go to a Harley forum and ask, "what's the best kind of oil to use in my bike." Wanna start a blood bath? It'll be so deep you can swim in it. :345: P.S., this post intentionally has absolutely nothing to do with this debate.
J.
OMG
Thanks for reminding me.
I haven't changed the oil in my Harley for several years.
Oh wait, I don't have one. I prefer Hondas.
Never mind. :)

FYI, if you want to see a blood bath just mention the word Honda on a Harley forum.

Last edited:
... in other news, Bauhaus came out with a new album a few years back apparently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back