Doubts with Mamiya 7 ii + 150mm lens (also 43mm)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by manueljenkin, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I took a shot at the film or digital 13 images, and just tagged the file names with an addendum of my guesses. Not sure how I did...there are at least four very tricky ones! Maybe more! Here's a low-rez screencap of my guesses. YSAREX film or digital GUESSES.jpg

2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You did really well -- simulated film grain can be detected but it's not easy, we get better at creating it. I'm sure if I gave you higher res versions of each then you'd be able to do better still, but that also argues for the difference being inconsequential because most electronic uses of the images would be lower res and in printed versions the paper texture will cover over the tell-tale details.

img_01 is a scan of 35mm transparency -- the scanner was my old Canon 4000 dedicated film scanner.
    img_02 is a scan of 4x5 sheet transparency -- the scanner I don't remember but at the time I had access to an old Polaroid and Nikon 9000
    img_03 is a scan of 6x7 transparency -- the rest of the film images are from Epson V series scanners. Most of the scanning I do now involves helping students and at so many of the schools now dedicated film scanners have been replaced by Epson V series scanners. I continue to try and improve results from the Epson scanners but bottom line: the old dedicated film scanners were better. Campus where I'm teaching now just bought a Braun dedicated 120 scanner and I've had a little time to start playing with it.
    img_04 is grain added to digital -- small sensor compact
    img_05 is a scan of 6x7 neg (bad neg) -- Epson V series scanner
    img_06 is one of my attempts to help my students -- Epson V series scanners are all they have. It's 35mm neg scanned to very high res and sampled down in stages with light frequency sharpening between sampling stages. Bottom line as you can see is the scanner really doesn't do the job.
    img_07 is a scan of 6x7 neg -- Epson V series scanner
    img_08 is digital, Fuji X-T2 with added grain.
    img _09 yes I had recently posted -- digital
    img_10 digital from Canon 5dmkii
    img_11 and im_13 are digital from my little compact 1/1.7 sensor Samsung
    img_12 is digital APS-C

Joe

3. manueljenkin

manueljenkin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks a lot. I am looking at my options. Right now I just want to find a place where I can find the mamiya 7 ii for a reasonable price ( USD 1200$ or below). I am thinking Mamiya 7 because of that 43mm lens.

4. manueljenkin

manueljenkin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking at film camera now, just for that experience.

Yes, I still have interest in Digital Photography. The fuji XT2 and X2 looked really great with their fujinon lenses as well. And there's canons, sonys and stuff. However, if I were to buy a digital camera I'd want it to do video pretty decently. Not really interested in high resolution but rather more into moire control and aberration free video. And since my preference is first person videos, fairly well controlled rolling shutter is a must. And I prefer 60fps (not really a fan of 30fps). This knocks off any fuji, sony and modern canons from my list. And that alone narrows down my options to GH5 (4K 60fps) and D750 (1080p 60fps) when I look at somewhat affordable cameras. Both of which take great photos as well, photos is my first priority and they have an excellent selection of lens to choose from. And if I had very disposable income I'd love to get a Leica SL + their 28-90mm and call it a day (that thing has gorgeous 1080p 120fps video capabilities given thee iso is kept to 400 or below). Another very interesting camera imo is leica X-U.. but I don't think I have any time for an adventure in the next 12-18 months (hectic job)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    $1200 is a hefty chunk of change and if thats your budget I may suggest you take a look at some of the system camera's (Bigger Mamiya's and Hasselblads). It may be worth it to try and get your hands on a few of them (via rentals or a local camera club etc.). They fall well with in your price range and IMO offer more flexibility. Most have a decent 40mm lens as well.

Another thing to consider is getting a non working one or a beat up one and having it serviced. I dont know who's out there thats good with the 7's but im sure there is someone. In this case you can get a decent unit cheap and spend the difference having it fixed. Whats nice here is you should generally budget for a CLA anyway and in this case you can roll the repairs into it and sometimes save a bit.

You may want to consider a Pentax 6x7 as well. It offers the same 120 format shooting and a 45mm lens at a far better price point.

6. manueljenkin

manueljenkin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thank you. I did (and still do consider) the pentax but it is kind of heavy. Another big reason why I'm considering the mamiya is the size and "somewhat portability", especially since I'm going to do with only two lens. I know that mamiya 6 is a better choice for portability but it lacks the 43mm (it's 50mm on a 6x6 as opposed to 43mm on a 6x7.. thats a noticeable difference in framing). Both mamiya 6 and 7 are a lot like the leicas, and not really odd considering they are rangefinders. I must have been clear, I am more interested in rangefinders because of the weight savings they give. Yes I know the drawbacks, but I believe I can mitigate it. Also I'm not sure if I looked at the wrong images, but a google search on pentax 45mm showed some visible vignetting, while the mamiya didn't. What are some good 45mm lens for the pentax. I could see a f/2.8, a f/4 and a f/4.5 I believe. The size and weight is driving me away, but if i couldn't find a mamiya, this looks like a really nice choice at a much cheaper price. I also have interest in plaubel makina, fuji gf670 but not having wide enough lens turns me away from them. I think I am a corner case since I prefer 43mm and 150mm over the general 80mm.

Also I'm from India, and I can't really get a demo of anything. Even my shure srh1540 headphone purchase was kind of done without an audition, only after going through a lot of measurements and reviews and comparing impressions/measurements with some good heaphones (vsonic gr07) I had. But glad they turned out to be so lovable headphones. Hope I find some similar results with cameras