Downloading downtime

wildmaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wildmaven.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For you digital photographers, when you're done with a session and you're downloading your files to your computer, what do you do during that time? Do you watch it as it downloads, surf the web, or use that time to take a much-needed snooze?

I find myself here on this site. In fact, I'm downloading 2 portrait sessions now. I do keep checking to see if it's done, because I can't wait to get my hands on the pictures, ha ha.

Marian

well...with my 2gb card full of RAW images, converting them to .dng in lightroom...it only takes about a minute...so I just watch as they upload...and I can look at them as they are going on. I can start editing the first one...then by the time I get to the second or third...they're all set.

I usually check email, or read a few posts here or any of the other boards that I frequent. I have two 22" LCD screens, so it is easy for me to watch while the files transfer on one screen and I read from the 2nd one.

well...with my 2gb card full of RAW images, converting them to .dng in lightroom...it only takes about a minute...so I just watch as they upload...and I can look at them as they are going on. I can start editing the first one...then by the time I get to the second or third...they're all set.

Wow, what kind of RAM do you have on your computer!?! It takes me about 10 minutes do dump 300 RAW +JPG images from my camera to my computer. I *wish* mine took just 60 seconds! Plus, if I try to do anything in Photoshop while downloading, the whole thing locks up on me. :thumbdown:

Marian

Are you dnldng directly from your camera?

If so that may be your bottleneck, There is also a slight risk to your camera doing this.

Card readers are cheap and allow you to grab your camera in the middle of dnldng if you just happen to see ET outside. ;)

I have my capture software set up and a long USB Cable, so as I am shooting in the studio it downloads as I go, then I can revew them right away, no waiting.

I have my capture software set up and a long USB Cable, so as I am shooting in the studio it downloads as I go, then I can revew them right away, no waiting.

Nice setup! Unfortunately, my computer is at home so I have to wait until I get back from the studio to download. Hmmm...maybe it's time for a laptop? :mrgreen:

Are you dnldng directly from your camera?

If so that may be your bottleneck, There is also a slight risk to your camera doing this.

Card readers are cheap and allow you to grab your camera in the middle of dnldng if you just happen to see ET outside. ;)

Hahhahaha...here in the Pacific Northwest we're more likely to see Bigfoot. :lmao:

Ooooo......I want a card reader now!! :mrgreen: Yes, I'm downloading directly from my camera. Eek!

Marian

Most reactions

Back