Drawing the line between artistic identity and following the rules

1. I've dealt with the French.
2. Life is a bunch of choices, photography is no different.
3. Honestly I'm not really sure what it is your asking for input on, unless of course your attempting to duplicate my artistic signature.
4. For the record I've changed my artistic signature to an unpronounceable symbol, allowing me to get highly offended when you pronounce it incorrectly
But you will always be remembered for..................................

Well sure, but that was back during my purple phase. As I've grown and matured as an arteest, well I've moved more into an aubergine until finally settling into a deep fuchsia.

So write a new song. Follow the rules if you like or not.

Oh, so it is kind of like living an everyday ordinary common sense life.

You'd be surprised as to how much is NOT ordinary here... Like customer service, Not a requirement here. As an employee here you can literally tell customers to take a long walk off a short plank and still have a job... or your boss. I know sound like a dream set up to some.

Fully aware of the "rule that was broken" but taking voluntary freedoms knowing full well how the image should have been "conventionally shot"
Unfortunately, we see people breaking the rules willy-nilly without first understanding the rules well enough to break them skillfully.

Oh, so it is kind of like living an everyday ordinary common sense life.

You'd be surprised as to how much is NOT ordinary here... Like customer service, Not a requirement here. As an employee here you can literally tell customers to take a long walk off a short plank and still have a job... or your boss. I know sound like a dream set up to some.
No I wouldn't, I lived in Europe for 3 years. Travelled France extensively. It's says alot about a country who's three greatest individuals are Layafette, Inspector Cloeseau, and Pepe Le Pew.

way to deep for me i just take snapshots

Hello friends co-creators, and artists,
New on this Forum, Originally from Southern California, currently living on the french riviera.
My background in photography... I actually started on the fashion design and stylist side, started getting asked to shoot, took courses at NYIP, now it's my full time Job.
Some of you may or may not have dealt with the French, but the french do a few things well: Cheese, Wine, and complaining. (and I don't mean the constructive criticism kind)

When I was studying photography and working with my mentors one of the things I came to believe as that photography is a bunch of choices. Presented with the same subject many of you may chose to shoot it differently, different cropping, different focal lengths, different lighting... anyone with a tiny bit of technical knowledge knows out of that same subject study, an infinity of images can be produced. Making those choices and consistently being able to have that flavor is what gives that artistic signature.
That signature may not be to people's taste, it may even sometimes break "rules" but so long as there is a reason and the result can be reproduced isn't that what makes the artist world so limitless with infinite possibilities?

I was just hoping to get other people's and specifically creative people's input... Maybe I am out of my mind to think these things.

thanks guys,

J-
www.justingagephotostudio.com

What's to discuss or critique? What you wrote is almost axiomatic in art of any kind.

6151124965.gif

Yeah...this ^^^ was my initial thought as well.

Give the OP a chance to suss out what he's trying to explain before being too dismissive. Lots of folks can't articulate perfectly, but getting feedback helps. Lew seemed to get his point up there and connected just fine.

If y'all are bored, find another punching bag. ;)

Moderators...................................................

Moderator.jpg

You said pick on somebody else. :biggrin-93:

Last edited:
Some of you may or may not have dealt with the French, but the french do a few things well: Cheese, Wine, and complaining.

So, what's the point of mentioning 'the French' in this first post?
They have absolutely nothing to do with the point you're making to be able to shoot a subject without any limits.

You should've ended your rant with 'pardon me for my French', though...

Some of you may or may not have dealt with the French, but the french do a few things well: Cheese, Wine, and complaining.

They have absolutely nothing to do with the point you're making to be able to shoot a subject without any limits.
Well, if you lived on the French Riviera, wouldn't you want to mention it every chance you got?

Well, if you lived on the French Riviera, wouldn't you want to mention it every chance you got?
Au con·traire Pierre, everyone knows the real artist are in Pariee. Ah gay Pariee, the mass of tourists, the snooty attitude, the condoms hainging in the trees along the Rue Saint-Denis. It makes me long to be living in Kitzingen Germany again. A safe 350 miles from Paris.

Most reactions

Back