Dropped a lens. Help?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I was changing lenses (my 18-70 to my 50mm), the 18-70 slipped out of my hand, hit the ground, and bounced a couple of times. There was a filter protecting the front, but nothing protecting the back. On inspection, everything seemed to be fine. I tried it out, and it worked fine. The next day when I try the lens, I mount it and on the top screen where the aperture is supposed to be, "F--" is flashing, and I can no longer autofocus. Its not the camera, because my 50mm works like a charm. Is there anything I can do to fix the lens? Upon inspection of both the front and the back, everything looks fine. I'm going on a big hiking trip tomorrow that I've been looking forward to, and I need this lens for landscapes. Its usable, because being jammed on the highest aperture and having to MF are perfectly acceptable for landscapes, I still would like it fixed.

I'm getting a new lens soon to replace it, but is there anything I can do at the moment?

firstly give the contacts on the lens a wipe with a dry cloth - it might be that there is dirt or something on one which is breaking the contact with the camera.
If that does not work then you have 2 choices 0 repair or wait for the replacement lens -- is it still in warrenty by chance?

Is the aperture ring on "A" or did it get jarred and moved to something other than A during the fall? If I put on a MF lens or change the aperture manually, I get F---.

Doh, its a G lens no ring. Check the switch as said above. And check the aperture is opening and closing by actuating the little tab in the mount while looking through the lens.

firstly give the contacts on the lens a wipe with a dry cloth - it might be that there is dirt or something on one which is breaking the contact with the camera.
If that does not work then you have 2 choices 0 repair or wait for the replacement lens -- is it still in warrenty by chance?

No, I bought the D70s kit used from ebay.

Its acting as though there were no lens mounted, and the lens is acting as if there were no camera mounted.

Last edited:
Try this, I have a problem occasionally with an extension tube and this fixes the problem.

While the lens is mounted. Put a little pressure tilting the lens upward at the front. This will move the contacts up and in slightly. There is useually a little play in the mount to do this. If it happend to fall on the contact flange it may have bent down some, and it not making contact any more.

You're a genius!

UPDATE: It worked, but now it doesn't. When I first tried it, the lens started working again like new. Then, I dismounted the lens, and when I put it back on, its having the same problem. Tilting it upward while mounting doesn't work.

sounds like the contact is just retreating further into the lens housing. You might have a little luck trying to tease it (if you can work out which it is) out with something very small, but chances are that its support from behind is broken or shifted - so only opening it up will give a perminant fix.
That would be my guess

How would I "tease" the contact out?

Sorry, had to go to bed (overseas). Not sure on your lens but on many the contact strip is held to the lens by 2 small screws. If it happened to fall on the contact strip it may have stipped down a thread or two. If it does have the screws (not sure if they all do or not). Use a correctly sized screwdriver and loosen them first! Do not just try and tighten. When they are both loose, push up on the contact strip and tighten the screws. Do not over tighten them! It sounds as if the strip is just barely away from making propper contact. Why it worked by tilting it up the first time.

The other poster is talking about prying up the metal contacts. I have not looked at them close enough to see if you could do that or not. No sample to look at overhere either.

Hope you get it working again.

Where exactly are these contacts? I've looked all over, but I don't see anything resembling a contact.

Where exactly are these contacts? I've looked all over, but I don't see anything resembling a contact.

Its the row of 10 metal dots at the top of the camera mount in black plastic area, when the lens is in the mounted position. They are in the black plastic area from about 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock when the lens is held like its installed on the camera.

They are in what I call a contact board. Its own little piece of plastic, that fits inside a slot with the rest of the black plastic rear mount (actual mount is chrome metal). I believe there are 2 little screws that go through the rim of the metal mount that hold the contact board in position. I am thinking when you dropped it. You may have broken the screws and the contact strip is sliding inside the lens.

Most reactions

Back