Dropped a lens. Help?

a word of caution, this may cause it to further retreat into the lens and slap a restraining order on you

That depends on the lens's orientation. :lmao:

Is this a Nikon thing or a cheaper lens thing? I have Canon L series glass and can't imagin how the contacts would "retreat" further into the housing.

In-other-words, are the contacts sticking out on Nikon or do they lay flat like Canon?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Nick

a word of caution, this may cause it to further retreat into the lens and slap a restraining order on you

What are you talking about.....When you are married to your lenses like I am the worst you got to worry about is being called a tease

@dtornabene1: they protrude a little bit... atleast the ones I've seen have.

Is this a Nikon thing or a cheaper lens thing? I have Canon L series glass and can't imagin how the contacts would "retreat" further into the housing.

In-other-words, are the contacts sticking out on Nikon or do they lay flat like Canon?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Nick

Not talking about individual contacts. I am wondering if the 2 screws that hold the whole contact board has broken. And because of that the entire contact board can move.

Thank you Battou and benhasajeep. While I am very fluent with Nikon Technology, the basic components of their lenses, such as contact structure, I am a bit ignorant. But I always like to learn! Thanks again for the answers.

But do you find the same problems on the pro lenses? I really can't see this happening on a Canon professional lens. If the entire contact plate came loose, the force would be unbelievable.

A friend dropped the EF 85mm f/1.2 L II and it still performs like a champ. Other than glass breakage/scratches, I just don't see how this is possible. So, both answered my general question, but not the one about Nikon professional lenses verses lesser lenses. Any ideas?

Lastly, this is not a "mine is better than yours" point. I really am interested in the makings of other lenses. The things you really only learn or know about by owning it. So no one get offended. I am not comparing Canon to Nikon or suggesting one is better than the other.

-Nick

(Since it would be pointless knowing Canon is better. :biglaugh: Just joking arround, I really am interested.)

I am surprised it broke too. I was sitting down, and the floor was wooden.

I think the reason it broke is because the rear cap was not on because I was in the middle of changing lenses. I still don't think that justifies the lunching of a whole lens, especially the 18-70, known for its build quality.

Thank you Battou and benhasajeep. While I am very fluent with Nikon Technology, the basic components of their lenses, such as contact structure, I am a bit ignorant. But I always like to learn! Thanks again for the answers.

But do you find the same problems on the pro lenses? I really can't see this happening on a Canon professional lens. If the entire contact plate came loose, the force would be unbelievable.

A friend dropped the EF 85mm f/1.2 L II and it still performs like a champ. Other than glass breakage/scratches, I just don't see how this is possible. So, both answered my general question, but not the one about Nikon professional lenses verses lesser lenses. Any ideas?

Lastly, this is not a "mine is better than yours" point. I really am interested in the makings of other lenses. The things you really only learn or know about by owning it. So no one get offended. I am not comparing Canon to Nikon or suggesting one is better than the other.

-Nick

(Since it would be pointless knowing Canon is better. :biglaugh: Just joking arround, I really am interested.)

Well to put it bluntly I am not very fluent in Nikon tech but I did stay at a holiday in last night...J/K To tell you the truth I just bought my first ever Nikon earlier this month, even then its got a manual lens on it :blushing:.

But any who I've dun dropped my Sakar 135 2.8 manual lens for the canon FD mount and it just bounced off the hardwood, then again it's an old third party lens. They was built like tanks cus steel is what they had.:D I love old gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back