I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
finally shot through a roll of 120 film on the Rolleiflex 3.5E. (which is for sale BTW)
It was what the guy at the camera store had recommended, and since I had no idea what I was doing...that's what I got.
so...was this a good film choice? I cant wait to see how the pictures look. does anyone have any better film recommendations or is this what I should be getting? most of the time it is outdoor shots with the Rollei but I could see a few indoor shots as well.

View attachment 20107

Fuji color film is nice, how about trying some b+w Ilford FP4 developed in Rodinal is very nice, you could even try some cheap Foma film im getting great results from it

You'll have a better idea if this was a good film choice for you after you see your prints. ;) (Actually, the negatives are more important, you can't make a film judgment based on machine prints, so keep that in mind when you pick it up.)

I don't shoot color print film, so can't make specific recommendations. Strictly B&W here. However, I can second the Fuji color if you're shooting transparencies.

AND?
You knw what they say?

This thread is worthless without pictures.

That film, Portra 400VC, was discontinued at the end of 2010 when it was replaced by Portra 400. The replacement film has lower granularity, lower contrast and lower saturation. If you are printing digitally the last two are less important than they would be if you are printing optically - in fact the lower contrast negative is an advantage. Both films are very good, however. If you want more speed Portra 800 has excellent image quality for the speed, and it stands overexposure well. All in all, Portra 400 is a very good choice for a general purpose film. Unless you have a good reason to use reversal film, I would suggest negative as the better option.

You may not want to see the photos if you really plan to sell it. ;)

I don't think that will be an issue. I did not really enjoy shooting the Rollei. I don't like how you have to hold it. aaand, I don't like waiting over a week for the negatives to get back, then longer for prints. I have been too spoiled by the instant gratification of Digital. sorry. the Rollei is in great shape, and everything on it works, including the lightmeter. I think $400 is a pretty good price for it. but we are definitely selling it since we aren't likely to use it.

gsgary said:
You must be mad selling that camera it will blow your digital away

Nope. Not mad at all. Sold it to a nice gentleman we know through a camera store we frequent. He mostly shoots medium format and is a big TLR fan. The camera will get used again instead of rotting away in our closet. Sounds like a win/win all around.

gsgary said:
You must be mad selling that camera it will blow your digital away

Nope. Not mad at all. Sold it to a nice gentleman we know through a camera store we frequent. He mostly shoots medium format and is a big TLR fan. The camera will get used again instead of rotting away in our closet. Sounds like a win/win all around.

Win Win for him

gsgary said:
Win Win for him

So a better option for us would have been to leave it in our closet for another 4 years? Rather than sell it to someone that would actually use it? We werent going to use it. Took us 3 years to get through 1 roll of film. We didnt like using it. Im really unsure how this didnt work out well for us too. All the quality in the world does us no good if we hate actually using the camera.

gsgary said:
Win Win for him

So a better option for us would have been to leave it in our closet for another 4 years? Rather than sell it to someone that would actually use it? We werent going to use it. Took us 3 years to get through 1 roll of film. We didnt like using it. Im really unsure how this didnt work out well for us too. All the quality in the world does us no good if we hate actually using the camera.

I love using my TLR's last month i went through 12 rolls
one of my favourites from last few months, are we going to see the results from that roll ?
img250-L.jpg

gsgary said:
I love using my TLR's last month i went through 12 rolls
one of my favourites from last few months, are we going to see the results from that roll ?

We really just finished the roll to show that the camera was in good working order. We got the negatives but never got any prints done.

How'd your negatives turn out? Just curious if you inspected them. I agree with you that the camera deserves to be used, so selling it to a TLR buff was best for both parties. :)

gsgary: I love that shot! :thumbup:

terri said:
How'd your negatives turn out? Just curious if you inspected them. I agree with you that the camera deserves to be used, so selling it to a TLR buff was best for both parties. :)

gsgary: I love that shot! :thumbup:

The negatives were good. They printed 4x4's of the shots. Previews i guess. They looked good and the buyer was happy.

Most reactions

Back