DSLR Sensor cleaning

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well looks like it may be time to clean my sensor. I did a test image (shooting a white card at f/13 at +2 stops and viewing it at 100% in photoshop) after finding some suspect spots on an image recently and I counted about 15 little spots. Not sure what is a lot and what is typical, but I would think this is on the mod-low end? Anyway, the reading I've been doing looks like the way to go is with the Sensor Swabs**® and Eclipse to get 99.999 of any dust, welded or not.

Is that pretty much the consensus here? Any stores I can find this in w/o ordering off the internet? The only "camera" store I have locally is Ritz, which apparently doesn't sell anything camera related anymore. Seems like everytime I look for anything, even generic stuff, they don't sell it, not sure what they do sell. Why is it that B/H can't ship it (the eclipse solution) but Adorama can? I know there is some regulation on transportation of it, but how does Adorama get around it?

Anyone else recommend a cleaning solution other than using a bulb blower?

Which camera is this for? with the K10D's low pass filter I was able to blow literally all the dust of my sensor, but on the *ist DL I couldn't :er:

as far as shipping eclipse fluid, its methanol (right?) so it can't be flown. By land it shouldn't be a problem so Im not sure why B&H is having problems.

Please don't literally "blow" onto the sensor.... you are just asking for trouble. Use compressed air or a bulb. I personally like the gitzo rocket.

Please don't literally "blow" onto the sensor.... you are just asking for trouble. Use compressed air or a bulb. I personally like the gitzo rocket.

obviously, sorry I didn't make that clear. I have a review of the Giotto Rocket blower in the reviews section. night and day difference after the blowing.

why couldn't you on a *ist? I read in an article that "Contrary to popular belief, NO camera company makes a sensor without a filter in front of it. Even if it doesn't filter out IR or anything, there is a thin sheet of glass/plastic.

why couldn't you on a *ist? I read in an article that "Contrary to popular belief, NO camera company makes a sensor without a filter in front of it. Even if it doesn't filter out IR or anything, there is a thin sheet of glass/plastic.

Still it is called sensor cleaning!

And with good cause, since that glass is part of the sensor, you cannot detach it usually.I could not read anywhere above that anyone referred to cleaning the actual semiconductor surface.

Well looks like it may be time to clean my sensor. I did a test image (shooting a white card at f/13 at +2 stops and viewing it at 100% in photoshop)

Well, if you really want to see them all, go for a minimum aperture shot (minimum, no just small), focus manually ... well basically take a picure totoally out of focus (of a white wall, blue sky, white card, whatever)

BTW, I use a speck grabber to clean the sensor...

I clean sensors in the shop I work at, out of all kits we've tried Visible Dust brushes are by far the best, their swaps are also far better than the Eclipse

Well, if you really want to see them all, go for a minimum aperture shot (minimum, no just small), focus manually ... well basically take a picure totoally out of focus (of a white wall, blue sky, white card, whatever)

BTW, I use a speck grabber to clean the sensor...

Some others that work. Blank monitor screen, white of course f/22 long exposure. Move the camera around, it doesn't matter, because you are trying to get the sensor, not what the lens sees.

Also I've generally just set the camera to manual, f/22 and 1/15th and shoot the sky. Again, out of focus. You are looking for the dust bunnies, which stay in one spot on the sensor.

Rocket blower, never compressed air (too strong).

Copperhill kit with the pecpads and eclipse fluid. Ordered online, included the modified spatula and the blower. Complete kit comes with instructions and everything anyone would want. It's an inexpensive investment for an expensive camera.

yes, but part of the K10D's design is that the low pass filter is some composite that is supposed to attract less dust statically I believe. Im not sure on the filter of the *ist but I couldn't seem to get anything off.

I did have the camera sent in when I had first got it because there was a spot in the center that wouldn't go away (much like a stuck pixel). Pentax sent the camera back and in the return info they said they had replaced the sensor and that everything was now fine. Not sure if it is even possible to install the sensor without the low pass filter but for whatever reason it wouldn't come off. Perhaps conditions in the environment have caused the dust to weld on? I dont use the camera now, my dad does only a few times a month max. Perhaps humidity or something has caused them to cling?

Also, I had a 100% success rate with the Canon XT from my friends. Couldn't get it all the first time, went back, still missing some. went back again, got it all. Not as easy as the K10D but still very very effective.

Well, it's the ist DS that has all the bunnies. I just got the k10D a couple weeks ago, and really haven't used it enough to put it through the works. I think I'll probably end up getting some sensor swabs and eclipse. Just wish there was some place local. I hate ordering everything I need all the time, but such is life in a small town.

Well, it's the ist DS that has all the bunnies. I just got the k10D a couple weeks ago, and really haven't used it enough to put it through the works. I think I'll probably end up getting some sensor swabs and eclipse. Just wish there was some place local. I hate ordering everything I need all the time, but such is life in a small town.

have you tried blowing it out? Im interested in seeing if the DL is having problems for me personally, or if it is the effect of the sensor/low pass filter on the sensor in those models that causes issues removing dust with a blower.

I don't really have a blower either. I did try a small bulb blower that we have with our health kit that we have for our 19 month old daughter that hasn't been used before. It doesn't have much pressure though and didn't really do much of anything.

Compressed Air works Great.

trust me on this, NEVER USE COMPRESSED AIR to clean your sensor, the liquid in compressed air can and will brake your camera. I've seen far too many broken cameras brought into the shop where people have done that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back