dSLR suggestions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by priya91, Apr 17, 2010.

1. priya91

priya91 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, So recently I received a Canon SLR, but I have been looking into buying a Digital SLR. My budget is anything under $1000. I absolutely have no idea what to buy as I am a photography novice. I would love some suggestions. Most people have recommended Nikon or Cannon. Suggestions on particular models would be awesome. Thank you :)

2. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon 550d should be around your budget, or maybe a 50d. Both great cameras. 550d is only 'entry level' but trumps the 50d on most most counts, incl HD video. I'm a canon junkie BTW - I have nothing against nikon and you should look into their stuff too (D90), but I only know about canon gear. Canon have an awesome lineup of lenses and accessories.

3. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You can get a Nikon D90 new with kit lens for $1,000.

If you care about video recording capabilities, you may favor a Canon. The 550D that fokker speaks of might be called a Rebel T2i in Canada, at least that's what it's marketed as south of your Canadian border. They sell for $900 with the kit lens.

If you don't care about video so much I'd recommend you get the Nikon. The D90 also has an internal focusing motor (correct me if I'm wrong, Nikon owners) so you'll be able to auto focus the cheap Nikon 50mm 1.8 and other motorless lenses.

4. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right.

But might I also suggest the Pentax K-x or K-7 for two reasons.

1) I'm plugging Pentax because they're the "underdog" and yet they produce top quality products that are hard to beat for the features vs. price comparison.

2) The Pentax K-x has the same sensor as the D90 (killer high ISO quality at 1/2 the price of the D90) AND both Pentax models (the K-x & K-7) have an internal focus motor AND internal shake reduction (K-x & K-7), which will ultimately save you money on lenses in the long run.

Speaking of which, if you already have a collection of Canon lenses from the film SLR...disregard the above and get yourself a Rebel T2i (550D), and enjoy! :mrgreen:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  5. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The old Canon lenses... well. If they're halfway decent ones I'd say let that help you choose what brand to buy. I'm curious to know what you have for lenses, but if it's trouble don't bother.

6. priyamartin91

priyamartin91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The forum is not accepting my password even after I get a new passoword. weird. Anyway, I have canon zoom lens EF 28-80mm.

7. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^ same thing happened to me. i downloaded google chrome and logged in with that, then deleted the cookies on my internet explorer and it worked fine. Thats what they told me to do, and it worked. haha.

I got a nikon d200 and an 18-135mm for 600 dollars. and the camera is AWESOME. So, i would have no fear in getting a used product, just make sure you know how many actuations are on the shutter. I was looking into a d5000, which is an OK entry level, and ended up with a pretty awesome camera for less money. So used is not always a bad thing.

8. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

That lens is close to worthless (and not a very suitable focal range for a crop body/digital SLR), so don't worry about sticking with canon for the sake of the lens.

I agree with the above comment about buying second hand, not only is a good way to save money but you can end up buying much higher quality gear than you anticipated.

FattyMCJ:Interesting points about the pentax models,I have never really taken a second look at them. Mostly because it is hard to find good second hand lenses and accesories. Are you saying that both the pentax models and the D90 have in-camera image stabilization? (or shake reduction or VR or wahtever it's called) Because that is completely news to me.

9. priyamartin91

priyamartin91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It makes sense to buy second hand. I would get a better quality camera for less rather than buying a new model which isn't as good. Can you guys suggest any good ones? Under $1000 of course.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Are you aware of the technical limitations from having shake reduction in the camera body rather than in the lens?

11. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm with you. The 50D is a nice prosumer camera but I'm absolutely loving my 550D (T2i). My dad has the 50D and I wouldn't even think twice about going with the 550D over it. Lighter, smaller, and better in certain aspects.

But I'd definitely say look at the D90 too (Nikon). I'm a Canon guy, but Nikon makes some good stuff.

12. stephenk

stephenk TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking to see what I can pick up used for around 1000 dollars as well. I have the same camera as the OP, interestingly enough! I think going used'll give me the chance to have something a bit more than I would have if I bought new. What do you guys think? What are some suggestions for good used dSLRs around 1k?