Dslr video

More A57 kid video. The shooter used a combination of manual and auto focus:

[video=vimeo;41474546]http://vimeo.com/41474546[/video]

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
One caveat with the Sonys (this is the principal reason they are my second choice, not the first) - watch out for patterned subjects such as shingled roofs and patterned clothing. Roofs especially will give you shimmering colored bands called "moire" (a problem the Panasonics don't have). See the rooftops in this video - especially at the 1 minute mark:

[video=vimeo;43985463]http://vimeo.com/43985463[/video]

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
One more reason that I prefer Panasonic - Panasonic lenses are optimized for video and have silent autofocus motors. Sony (and most Canon and Nikon) lenses are optimized for still photography and have noisy autofocus motors. Please listen to the lens motor in this A57 autofocus test. Great autofocus, but noisy motor:

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the forum only allows one video per post.

My bottom line recommendation for high quality stills and video of children with autofocus that works, 1080/60p, no moire, no limits on video clip length, no lens motor sounds on your soundtrack (if it fits your budget) is the $750 Panasonic DMC-G6 when they become available in the US in June.

This will be the best still/video camera below $1000 (I have the Panasonic GH3, but this camera is $1300 body only).

My second choice would be the Sony A57 for its fast, accurate autofocus and smooth 1080/60p frame rate.

A distant third is the Nikon D5200 for its lack of moire (but the autofocus struggles and it lacks 1080/60p)

I would avoid Canon DSLRs for this purpose. They are fine still cameras, and pretty good for narrative video - but they are not very good family video cameras.

All the best - and good luck with your decision :)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
P.S. - here is what the Panasonic G6 can do (please watch at 1080p and full screen). Please note the resolution and the complex patterned objects with zero moire:

Here are the stills it can produce.

If you can wait until June, this camera is probably the best value for your money.

Wow - your posts have been incredibly helpful.
I think I will return the Canon's and look for the Sony and the Panasonic.
My only challange will be finding them - we are in a small town.
Can you recommend an online site to buy them off of?
As well, why would you wait until June to buy the camera?
Again, your posts have been VERY helpful in my decision.
I realize that i need a camera that has autofocus in the video section.
HUGE thanks.

Hi hanna - sorry to have taken so long to answer, Windows rebooted my machine in the middle of a long and detailed answer last night :(

...we are in a small town. Can you recommend an online site to buy them off of?

I completely understand, I used to live in small town America. A great place to raise kids, but not so great for camera selection in the stores :)

For online shopping, I recommend Amazon.com. They are the biggest for a reason - they have a great selection, competitive prices and a fantastic return policy (return shipping is free).

As well, why would you wait until June to buy the camera?

The Panasonic Lumix G6 was just introduced, and won't ship to US customers until June. I have three of the Panasonic Lumix cameras, and can vouch for their video capability - if you can wait until it ships, it will be worth it. You can pre-order it for $750 with the kit lens from Amazon by clicking here.

If you need the camera sooner, the Sony A57, is available now. You can order it for $598 with the kit lens from Amazon by clicking here.

All the best - and I hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Hi Bill.
So i went down yesterday and bought the A37 - the one we have here locally at Staples.
It took ok video but the lcd screen was quite snowy and i was not sold on the picture quality.
I went this morning and bought the Nikon 5200.
I am currently charging the battery and will try it out this afternoon.
It has an autofocus during the video so we will see how that looks.
At least i have figured out that i want a dslr with great photo capabilitie and an auto focus video option...
I really like being able to buy them, bring them home, try them out and if they don't work for me then I can return them.
Do you have any experience with Nikon?
The reviews look good - but then the sony reviews were amazing!! - better in some areas!

I love your "try 'em before you buy 'em" plan! The Nikon D5200 is a great camera - but you may have a challenge with autofocus 'hunting' and autofocus motor noise - as in this video:

...but if you can put up with that, it may work for you :)

All the best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Not sure where you find those great clips.
My battery is now charged so I am off to play with the Nikon - pics and video!
The sony is easier on the pocketbook but we will see what works best and will let you know the findings!

Bill...me again...lol.
I downloaded both pictures and videos from the Nikon and Sony cameras.
The Sony is in some WEIRD formant - AVCHD.
The Nikon plays on my regular quicktime which is great and easy.
I read that the Sony video can somehow convert to MP4 (have not figured out how yet) but can it ever be played by Quicktime?
Both Sony and Nikon took great pictures.
Sony video was better focus - Nikon was more tricky after zooming or action it at times needed a manual focus.
Pictures were comparabe in daylight...i guess we will see what the night brings.
LCD screen was definitely better on the Nikon but surprisingly does not move or tilt like the Sony.
Hmmm.

Great comparison. The Sony (and Panasonic) AVCHD video format issue is a real challenge, especially for Mac owners.

The easiest and least expensive answer to AVCHD conversion to Quicktime for Mac OS X is free Media Converter shareware. If it works for you, you can make a donation here.

You can also shoot MP4 on the Sony, but the quality will be lower.

And the Nikon D5200 does have a tilt/swivel screen - it hinges on the left side of the camera, though:

$d5200-front-LCD-multi-500x405.jpg

...instead of the bottom of the camera, as on the Sony A37:

$er_photo_174826_52.jpg

Please let us know how it turns out - post videos, if you can!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back