DSLR vs Medium Format

joey33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it worth it to put my Bronica ETR up sale for a Cannon DSLR ?

what kind of work do you do?

that makes the biggest difference i think.
also, are you willing to sell it to me?

Yep. Think about the quality of your Bronica set-up, and then look at what you'll get for it now. I'd keep it even if you do decide to buy into a dSLR system. Even if you have a number of Bronica lenses and accessories you probably wouldn't be able to raise the funds for a digital Rebel, much less any quality glass, so to me it doesn't seem worth letting a system like that go.

I'd keep it even if you do decide to buy into a dSLR system.

I did.

I have a Hasselblad with a couple of lenses and a Mamiya 6.45 system. But the most complete system I have is the Mamiya RB... 2 bodies, 5 backs, 5 lenses (including the 150mm soft), prism finder, bellows lens hood, etc. I was offered $300 for the RB system.

I did.

I have a Hasselblad with a couple of lenses and a Mamiya 6.45 system. But the most complete system I have is the Mamiya RB... 2 bodies, 5 backs, 5 lenses (including the 150mm soft), prism finder, bellows lens hood, etc. I was offered $300 for the RB system.

I'll give you $350 and pay shipping :p

Think about what you’re shooting or want too, what workflow do you enjoy, computer and software upgrades, is this for personal or professional uses

As for quality IMO most DSLR are already sharper that 35mm film, and I have read several reviews on the Canon 5D that say it competes well with MF

christie do you have any of those film bodies and lenses etc anymore?

pm me if you do, or if anyone reading this does, i'm in the market for a used medium format.

I have read several reviews on the Canon 5D that say it competes will with MF[/FONT]

There is a comparison between the 5D and drum scanned 6x4.5 Velvia here (also 1Ds MkII, and assorted medium format backs)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/back-testing.shtml

To my eye the Velvia is sharper than the 5D by half of a hair, but you'd never spot the difference in a print, and with a scan of lesser quality the 5D would win hands down. Some of those digital medium format backs are clearly beating 4x5 Velvia. Of course, with those prices for digital backs, I'll be sticking with 4x5 film for quite a while longer.

i would agree to keep the camera. i went digital after shooting film for about 6 years. it only lasted about one month before i stopped. i felt far to dislocated from my photography and the prospect of never developing film or putting it on paper in the darkroom was disturbing. i went back to film and i'm not looking back to digital. of course it's more convenient for those who want to get their photos on the net asap and want to tweak every detail of the photo to perfection, but don't have the time. however, for those who appreciate the time that goes into every print and working hard for just one single photo, enjoy all the technical aspects of chemistry and physics, and like to experience that excitement that comes with every roll and print that is pulled out of the water and into the light -that's who film is for. if you fit into the later category, you'll be back.

I would make every attempt also to keep your MF film gear when you inevitably buy into the dslr world... I basically went the opposite way in that I was shooting 35mm/digital before I went MF...now I use the MF gear as a way to relax.. there are days when I am out on a location shooting digital and come home with 400+ images... and the same deal with MF I would come home with maybe 2 rolls... it really is all about your own perspective on shooting and what you plan on shooting.

...from my old film days. Alas, film (and more importantly, processing) is scarce and will disappear very soon. I must say I think you need to move to 100% digital ASAP. Pretty soon the MF equipment will be worthless (just look at eBay prices for the stuff).

Most reactions

Back