DSLR with SLR lenses

I'd get a D700 with low shutter count from the used market.

The D700 is extremely cheap now, but its still built like a tank, with professional controls and great output.

And old Nikon lenses are really cheap, too. But optically still good.

Hello and welcome to the dark side (digital)
Its the green side. The dark side is film. Film is dark.
film is da dark side.. darkroom the dark art.. laborators and focomats ..

They may still work, but have limitations. I have an old AI-S 105mm Micro Nikkor (macro) and it worked on the old D40, but I had to use an external meter or guess and bracket. The camera's users manual will have a chart showing lens compatibility.

Last edited:
I shoot a Nikon D850 and I use a very old Nikkor AF-35-70 f/2.8 that was made back in the film camera days. It works just fine on my high res. digital camera.

There is alot of psychological aspects here.
Having recently acquired two Nikons I have found certain joys with them being able to purchase compatible high end glass for a song and dance.
An 80-400 VR for $250 me thinks isn't bad.

The fact that I can get a 35mm or 50mm F1.4 for the things without selling my reproductive parts helps greatly.

There is that "need" factor of looking at all the new slick looking and fancy "pro end" glass. But alas, I cant argue the use of Mirrorless.

Though shooting Canon for 12 years, I also picked up a Fuji X-M1 for $75 at Kenmore Camera in WA State. That along with an adapter put my old Minolta glass back to work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back