early forays into macro

rocdoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got my new Tokina 100mm macro lens and I LOVE it. Unfortunately at medium distance it front-focuses badly so I'll have to return it for another copy, which pisses me off, because I love what it does for macro.

5173779144_e11a78cc2b_b.jpg
[/url]
evil weevil by ondionais, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for looking. Any comments welcome, of course.

I also just got my tokina. wondering whats the easiest way to tell if it is front focusing? I bought it used from adorama. I'm also loving it too. Great picture btw!

Like the shot. Good pose and nice n sharp.

It may be the angle - but it looks more like a sheildbug to me than a weevil. Need to see the top side to be sure.

Like the shot. Good pose and nice n sharp.

It may be the angle - but it looks more like a sheildbug to me than a weevil. Need to see the top side to be sure.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I don't think it was a weevil either. In fact I think it may be a stink bug - we had an invasion over the summer. I love how macro brings out these details to the point that it's hard to recognize the critter.

I also just got my tokina. wondering whats the easiest way to tell if it is front focusing? I bought it used from adorama. I'm also loving it too. Great picture btw!

I noticed it when I took a few shots of deer in the neighborhood, and the focus was 4-5 ft in front of the deer. Then checked that with more similar shots, and finally a series with stuffed animals lined up at an angle picking the middle one to focus on. I could not tell in macro range, where the field is too small, and for those I manual focus anyway. It can happen, the lens does not need to be defective, it may be that the tolerance in the lens aligns with the one in the camera focus mechanism and summates to cause the mis-focus. I am looking forward to the second copy.
If you have not noticed any problems I don't think there is any need to go checking, just shoot and enjoy.

I google the stink bug - and that's what I call a shield bug - most likely the US/UK divide in common names

Most reactions

New Topics

Back