EBay Crappy Pics

Derrel's right. When I sold camera gear on eBay, I always took the best photos I possibly could given the gear I had at the time because I WANTED people to see exactly what they were buying.

Definitely. If I'm spending a large amound of money on gear, I damn sure I want a good picture of it. If i'm spending $12.50 on some obscure enlarger lens that might be junk or maybe a gem, then I don't really care.

I treated every sale as a learning opportunity. From a $20 Polaroid to a $500 lens, I always made sure to take a moment and learn something about photographing products from the experience. I learned a LOT about lighting.

here's my last ebay photo:

$_57.JPG
Omg!
What an ugly picture!!!

;)

I've read allegations of crafty sellers deliberately putting up substandard photos on for-sale listings of poor condition photo gear, as well as other types of products, as a way to avoid clearly showing problems/blemishes/defects/wear and tear on items being auctioned. And knowing what I know about people, I would think that yeah, at times, that **is why** sometimes the photos on on-line auction items are crummy. Not always, but at least some of the time, I think the bad photos are done deliberately.

If the listing claims the goods are in good condition & the crummy images don't show the faults, then the buyer can raise a case of goods not as described. Not something to risk with expensive items though as I'm sure bad shots are used to hide how bad things like 'slight dust' on lenses actually is!

they're all professional wedding photographers selling used gear !!

I ask for more pictures if I'm interested in something that has a bad pic.

Yup, it is deliberate.
Everybody's got a phone that can take a good picture even under crappy lighting and close up ... so there is only one reason why images like that show up.

It may well not be deliberate, intended to hide flaws.

There's lots of people who think their images are of professional calibre, regardless of the real issues.

Most people just snap a picture indoors - often in the evenings (after work) so the lighting levels are rubbish. They don't worry about taking another picture and many try to "turn off flash because it gives unnatural looking colours" (because all they have is a camera mounted forward facing flash light source).

Most will consider the pictures good enough and in the end many might just want rid of the item they have. They don't much mind what they get for it just so long as they get rid of it. That's why you can go down to auction houses and get boxes of books - furniture and lots of other things for dirt cheap prices - because people want rid of their junk that you want ;)

Is it just not on the hanger right or is the cut wrong. It has wrinkles in the front under the lapels. :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back